Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question on SHTF pistols and mags

Feedback Score

question on SHTF pistols and mags

I'm getting a Sig P220 from a buddy for $500 including case and 3 mags. Is this a good deal? Also will the P220 .45 and my 92FS be all I would need if the SHTF? Good idea to keep 4 92FS mags loaded or just 2 for the house/SHTF? Thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Define SHTF?

PS, I know what the acronym means. I want to know what Shit Hits The Fan means to you.

Personally, my primary SHTF weapons tend to be rifles and shotguns.

Feedback Score

SHTF....

meaning if we ever have to bug out, run, etc. due to a natural disaster, crips/bloods coming for my SPAM, riots, zombies, etc....basically osama getting ALL of his legislation passed. Like you I have a 12 on standby at all times

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The S that is most likely to hit your F is some criminal scumbag who wants to hurt you...so I would suggest getting a weapon you can regularly carry on your person and some quality training to go with it.

Feedback Score

training

suggestion's for some quality training?????? there's a really nice indoor range near me but i'd prefer somewhere that can provide every possible scenario.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think it would depend on how much sh!t you expect.

If "SHTF" means "Home Invasion" then 2-4 mags, a pistol and a flashlight would be a fine means for fighting your way to your long gun.

If "SHTF" means "total societal breakdown" then I'd want each person in the house to have a pistol on them at all time, with 3 mags, and 20 loaded mags per pistol stashed around the house. Plus one spare pistol per person (in case a pistol goes down for maintenance). Also at least one rifle and one spare rifle per person, with at least 40 loaded mags per rifle.

I guess I read too much Mel Tappan when I was a kid.

Feedback Score

I like your totals.....

Shame I didn't hit the $360 million MegaBall Friday night.....well me and 27 other fellas in our merry little band at work. I'd be looking at land in Montana or Wyoming right now.....waiting for my class 3 to go through.

Feedback Score

Lightbulb

As long as you remember that a pistol is only a way to fight your way back to your rifle, you'll be OK.

Feedback Score

fighting to the rifle.....

speaking of rifles and such are Magpul mags the way to go? 10 should do it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bauer007 View Post
    suggestion's for some quality training?????? there's a really nice indoor range near me but i'd prefer somewhere that can provide every possible scenario.
    Larry Vickers.

A 2 day basic handgun class with Larry Vickers will teach you the fundamentals of using a handgun for serious social purposes. No single course will "provide every possible scenario". I've been through a lot of courses and spent a lot of money and I've still not been through "every possible scenario"...

A Vickers course, however, has the essentials...and if you practice those you will be FAR ahead of most people who carry a gun...even those who do it as a part of their job.

EDIT: PMags are good gear.

For most people who don't wear a badge or fast-rope out of Blackhawks to shoot terrorists in the face, a handgun is the most likely defensive tool. Carbines are great and are far superior in the kinetically pacifying miscreants department, but using one in a real self defense situation is going to be exceptionally rare for your average joe. My advice to folks just getting into firearms as a means of protection is to focus their money, time, and energy on the weapon they are most likely to have when it goes to crap.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 09-03-09 at 22:19.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast