Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: question on SHTF pistols and mags

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rharris2163 View Post
    I stock 12 mags per handgun. All of which are M&Ps. Probably over 100 Pmags and D&H Alum Mags for the carbean and a metric crap load of ammo.

Things that you will never have enough of when the S hits the fan:

Firearms (including weapons proficiency/training)
    Ammo
    Food
    Water
    Medical supplies
    Fuel
    A plan to obtain the above, once it runs out.

And like minded folks who can have your back when you begin that basket ride.

And this just a good start.

You can't go wrong with a good P220. They are good for general use but not if Zombies attack. That is where you want your 9mm.

Feedback Score

100 Pmags........

That's some weight there......especially loaded. A chunk of change too. Anyone buy mags from Cheaper Than Dirt? They've got the cheapest 92FS mags I've seen so far. Are they good as far as shipping and reliability? Do you get what you order or "knock offs"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    Any particular reason why?

Wondering that myself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bauer007 View Post
    That's some weight there......especially loaded. A chunk of change too. Anyone buy mags from Cheaper Than Dirt? They've got the cheapest 92FS mags I've seen so far. Are they good as far as shipping and reliability? Do you get what you order or "knock offs"?
    I don't have any current mags from Higher Than Hell......errr Cheaper Than Dirt but I did some for a 92 several years ago.

While they work fine for range use and they work in my old Taurus PT92 which is what they are for really they have the base pad for the Beretta.

Feedback Score
    IMO, the most important thing about your SHTF gun is to have multiples of that platform. I have several handguns, but the SIG/Sauer P228 and the Glock are my go-to guns. I have 2 of each. The M&P is my new fave, though, and it will have a stablemate soon enough.

Feedback Score
    $500 is a good deal for a 220. The only downside is the cost of .45, and that isn't really that bad Is this a milled or stamped slide model? The old German built stamped models are mild steel and will rust of not cared for, however many people seem to think the quality was better than the new milled stainless slide guns. Either way the gun will run.

Before the SHTF pick up some more mags, preferably factory, rebuild kits for the mags, and a few factory sping kits for the guns. because Brownells wont be open after TEOTWAWKI.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bauer007 View Post
    I'm getting a Sig P220 from a buddy for $500 including case and 3 mags. Is this a good deal? Also will the P220 .45 and my 92FS be all I would need if the SHTF? Good idea to keep 4 92FS mags loaded or just 2 for the house/SHTF? Thanks
    The simple answer to your question can be best answered by you while at the range. If you can shoot both guns effectively, then they should serve you. If you can not shoot both guns effectively, then try something else.

I would recommend you pick one gun and caliber. Learn to use this effectively. By having one type and caliber of gun, it's easy to stock ammunition and magazines.

Quality magazines (I'd stay with the factory mags) can remain loaded without issues. If you're concerned, buy new mag springs every 2-3 years. Springs are cheap. How many magazines to keep loaded depends on how many you think you will need. It's a PIA to have to unload magazines, to switch out carry ammo for training ammo, every time you want to practice.

If you stick with one type and caliber of gun, you can keep a spare magazine in a handy place. I keep one in the center console of my truck.

I totally agree on getting some training. There was a quote on another topic from Col Jeff Cooper, "Owning a gun makes you a gun fighter about as much as owning a piano makes you a musician". Get some training from a competent source.

I also agree with John Wayne 777, in that for the $500, you could get a new Glock 19. This is in my opinion one of the best SHTF handguns out there.

There are many definitions of what "SHTF" means. Anything from a unexplained "bump in the night" to a robbery attempt, to another NOLA during Katrina, to who knows...

While this may seem rather simplistic (and yes, I have been accused of being a simpleton at times), I have come to define SHTF as any event that may cause you to say "Oh Shit" as you reach for a gun.

To the OP, try to determine the needs of the tool (mission), then try to find the best tool (gun) for you to fulfill that need.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    While this may seem rather simplistic (and yes, I have been accused of being a simpleton at times), I have come to define SHTF as any event that may cause you to say "Oh Shit" as you reach for a gun.
    I'd have to agree. I mean, I have yet to hear of anyone saying "Well, one asshole trying to kill me is no big deal. Wake me up when it's a whole bunch of 'em."

Generally when you're convinced that you have to shoot somebody in the face to continue on this plane of existence it would qualify as a "SHTF" moment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123