Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What makes an HK an HK?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by senorlinc View Post
    i have a p7 that has been nothing less than a joy to own and shoot, im not sure but that pistol seems overly engineered.
    I don't know if I would say that it is "over" engineered, but clearly, everything about the P7 is reflective of the Teutonic penchant for such things ....

- The grip angle was calculated to be optimal for human ergonomics.
    - The gas system, while simple in principle, was innovative in the extreme.
    - The extraction/ejection system was designed to function even in the case of lost components.
    - The polygonal rifling and fixed barrel were designed to provide extreme accuracy and ease of maintenance.
    - The squeeze-cocking operating system was designed to provide safety and speed on a level never achieved before ... or since.
    - The ambidextrous controls were designed to provide an identical manual of arms for left and right handed firers at a time when no one was doing this.

Everything from the front strap stippling to the flattened/serrated slide top seems engineered to provide optimal custom features in a production handgun. One needn't own (or even like) the P7 to see that it embodied a very high tech approach to engineering and design, and we would do well to remember that they were doing this in the early-to-mid 1970s!

Given that these pistols are incredibly reliable, I'm not so sure how one might define "over" engineering, but it's true that anyone who has ever had the courage to remove the grip panels from a P7 has surely has come to the realization that they are looking at one of the most complex pistols ever designed.

AC
    Last edited by Army Chief; 09-07-09 at 09:59.
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    I don't know if I would say that it is "over" engineered, but clearly, everything about the P7 is reflective of the Teutonic penchant for such things ....

........Given that these pistols are incredibly reliable, I'm not so sure how one might define "over" engineering, but it's true that anyone who has ever had the courage to remove the grip panels from a P7 has surely has come to the realization that they are looking at one of the most complex pistols ever designed.

AC
    ok, while i did subject myself to 2 years of engineering classes in my university days, i am far from an engineer. i will admit to using the term for a lack of an otherwise appropriate term. i would be alright if we add "over engineered" to modern pirate's list of words that irritate

i have taken the grip panels off and i was intimidated. i realised that putting them back on immediately would probably save me a headache as well as nice sum of money if i made the attempt to go any further with a dis assembly

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Because this is sexy.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    To be completely honest, I had originally mis-read your post and had to adjust fire a bit myself; that said, I wasn't taking issue with the observation so much as just suggesting that when a pistol works so well, and fails so infrequently, it is really tough to say "how much is too much" in the engineering sense.

Having have stripped P7s down to the frame a number of times over the years, and can certainly understand where you might not want to wade into those waters. It definitely helps if you take clear photos as you go, so you have a reference work from as you seek to reverse the steps.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Why are HKs more expensive?

Simple, because they never jam and always go bang!
    I hate to break it to you but, all guns can jam and fail to go bang.

Feedback Score
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by shittercrewchief View Post
    Because this is sexy.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Hey Civilian, that is a straight up Wicked looking pistol. Thanks for the pic!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shittercrewchief View Post
    Because this is sexy.
    One of the greatest screen names ever LMAO

Jay

Feedback Score
    Shitter = CH53? Haven't heard that one in a long time!

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Don't forget the exchange rate on the current pricing. Dollars are weak and as we print more, will get weaker.....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast