Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who've made the switch from the Glock to the S&W

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

For those who've made the switch from the Glock to the S&W

How has it worked out? I have always been a Glock guy, not so much by choice but simply because I could never find anything out there that did a better job. In my quest, I've tried the 1911, SIG, HK, Beretta, etc. and I've always come back to the Glock. However, for some reason, I never really gave the M&P much thought. After having a chance to shoot my dad's M&P40, I was really blown away by just how good it felt and how well it shot. Needless to say, I went out and picked up a M&P9 and a number of magazines. Money being tight with a new baby, I had to trade my Glock 17 and sell off some accessories in the process.

It's too soon to tell and I'm going to give it some time before I render a verdict as to whether I've finally found a better mouse trap. Be that as it may, I was just wondering, for those who've made the switch, how has it worked out for you? Are you sticking with the M&P? Have you gone back to the Glock? What are your reasons?

And, truthfully, I am not trying to start any arguments here.
    Last edited by RyanS; 09-05-09 at 00:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cool

I would like to know this also since I have thought about trying a M&P also.
    I know of several people that switched from Glock to XD and will not go back.
    While I have not considered the XD for several reasons, I do like the idea of a S&W.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Since having gotten my M&P 40 my Glock 22 has been relagated the duty of patrolling the main house safe. Im not waiting to give it up yet since i never had any problems with it whether with light attached or not or factory or reloaded ammo. I am also able to use it with my Advantage Arms converter.

The M&P just feels better. The trigger is really the achilles heel for me. I have not yet found it to be where i want to settle down. The lack of a positive reset for me is problematic.

An M&P with a Glock trigger-now that would be nice. How about a Glock with the feel of an M&P?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I work for a Department of around 1,100 officers (minus any pending layoff!). We have had the 9mm M&P in the field for going on 4 years. As a whole, there have been no issues worth speaking of. No pattern or design issues so far. As it relates to durability, I'd rate the 9mm M&P with the 9mm Glocks.

For the Glock fanatics out there, calm down after reading this last sentence please...

I still like the Glock. Especially the G19. Carry one off duty most days.

The full size M&P's seem to develop a nice trigger pull. It doesn't take much work on the sear to smooth things up greatly in this area. It has been our experience that around the 3K mark, the trigger pull goes down .25 - .5 lbs, then stays there. I've personally shot guns with over 20K documented rounds through them, great trigger pulls.

One of our range staff bought two of the original T&E guns to be used for CCW classes he teaches on the side. These guns are at or over the 60K mark with no issues.

Where the Glock shines in comparison to the M&P, in my opinion, is two major areas.

The trigger reset on the Glock is very pronounced. The trigger reset on the M&P is not nearly so. I can still shoot my M&P at speed, and my shot to shot split times are not affected, so for me this has not been an issue. If I had to guess why, I'd say due to training/trigger time with the system.

The Glock is stupid easy to detail strip. Even I can do it! The M&P is easy, but not as easy. There exists a tiny spring within the trigger group that is such a bitch to reinstall, that most armors just replace the entire group.

I did a comparison test one day just to satisfy my own curiosity. I took a Glock 19, a Glock 26, a M&P full size, and a M&P9c (compact). I would shoot the G19, then set it down and immediately shoot the M&P at the same stage (two different targets of course). I did the same thing for the G26 vs. the M&P9c.

I was surprised to find that my accuracy with both M&P's was slightly better than with the Glocks. I was shocked to learn that my speed and split times were slightly better with the M&P's. The M&P9c shot a tad faster for me than the Glock 19 did!

While the difference was not that much, it was there. I actually went in thinking the Glock 19 would be faster for me as it relates to my shot to shot splits.

With all of this, I still carry my Glock 19 off duty, mostly out of habit. Have ben carrying it for almost 10 years. This will mostly likely change when I get around to ordering a raven holster for the M&P.

The M&P9c is a unique animal for me. It's between the G19 and the G26 in size. It doesn't seem to full fill the needs of my G26, as it's a bit too big, and I can't warm up to it as much as the G19, due to it feeling too small. But I do like it enough that I can't bring myself to sell it off.

Hope this helps. The caffeine is starting to wear off, so I'll stop now...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I now only own G-19s and an M&P9. If they made a 19-sized M&P I'd be all over that!

Feedback Score

Thumbs up M&Ps are the Shizzle!

I had a 1st Gen G23 for around 15years, that I didn't shoot very much, because of the uncomfortable grip. A year or so ago, I traded it for an M&P40. It has become my favorite, then the M&P.45 running a very close second. It's very comfortable in either hand, recoil management is outstanding. I ended up trading in all my other pistols for the M&P line. The trigger reset is not as pronounced as other pistols out there, but it isn't much of a concern to me. I actually like the stock trigger and it appears that they do lightened up a bit after the 3K as BeatTrash has mentioned. The only down side is that I enjoy shooting them 10x more than I ever had with the G23 or other pistols owned, so it will put a dent in your wallet if you're not careful.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 09-05-09 at 09:49.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    How about a Glock with the feel of an M&P?
    SHOT Show 2010, baby!

M_P

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've owned a M&P9 Pro and an M&P45c.

Glocks - 19, 21SF, 22, 26, 34 (x2).

Currently only own the 26 and a 34. If I had it to do over again I'd still have the 21SF.

I sold the M&Ps after S&W refused to sell certain parts to me - I inquired in person at the NRA show. I like servicing my own pistols - hey, I own 1911s and shoot them a lot, it's a requirement.

They were pretty assholeish about it too. Their attitude was that civilians weren't to be trusted with replacing parts in the M&P.

I went to the Glock booth at the same show and talked to them about problems with my 22 - they were concerned and wanted it taken care of.

That settled it for me. I know, assholes are everywhere in this business.

As for the weapons themselves, I can shoot the M&Ps well, I can shoot the Glocks well.

Just depends on the platform that I want to dedicate myself to, that's the platform that I'll do better with.
    Last edited by 87GN; 09-05-09 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Traitor!

Hope you enjoy it. It sure did surprise me when you called me and said you shot your M&P better then you did your old Glock. You are supposed to call me when you buy a new gun. Not later, but right away!

Jon

Feedback Score
    After carrying a G22 at work for over two years, I switched agencies and carried an M&P40. I like the simplicity and durability of the Glock, but the grip is just not the best fit with my girlishly-small hands. My accuracy with the G22 was too hit-or-miss (pun intended).

I've shot about 400 rds through the M&P40 so far, and I absolutely love it. The only downside (as others have pointed out) is the trigger reset. Still, I am consistently more accurate, and I can maintain a good grip on the M&P vs. the Glock. It's a bit ironic that I find the large grip insert on the M&P to be the most comfortable and natural, although the medium works well, too.

In those 400 rds, I've had no malfunctions or hiccups with both PMC 180-gr ball and UMC 180-gr HP. I also find it is as easy (or easier) to clean than the G22. I've read on the M&P forum that some have had issues with rust and mag catches, but I've had no issues.

I still have a mint G22 "just in case," but it's sat in the safe since I bought it. I would probably sell it, but I've invested hundreds of $$$ in spare mags and holsters.

I also have a G27 that I daily carry, but having never shot an M&Pc, I can;t compare those two.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast