Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who've made the switch from the Glock to the S&W

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Haha! Don't get too worked up there Jon. I've decided to keep my G19....for now. But I do like the M&P a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by zen_grasshopper View Post
    Traitor!

Hope you enjoy it. It sure did surprise me when you called me and said you shot your M&P better then you did your old Glock. You are supposed to call me when you buy a new gun. Not later, but right away!

Jon

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Anyone know of an online resource with instructions on how to detail strip the M&P?

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I purchased a brand new M&P 45 and a .45c, The first time out to the range they performed great, I was very pleased with my decision. The second time was not so spectacular, FTF's with the big .45 out the yin yang. I was shooting the same batch of ammo, had plenty of mags and and the .45c was shooting great. I took the full size apart, lubed wiped it down and lubed it up again. Still FTF's over and over. The round seemed to nose dive into the feedramp.

Called S&W up and after a few weeks they send it back. They didn't fix it, sent it back and again the same problem. I sold it at a loss, because of the disclosure of the problem.

I replaced them both with Glocks, a 21SF and 30SF. I've never regretted that decision. The best thing you can do with the M&P is send it out to have the trigger done by Burwell, and replace the magazine springs.

This was just my experience and I am pretty sure others may have an opposite opinion.

Feedback Score
    I've made the emotional switch. I am not ditching my Glocks, but the M&P just works better for me. Ergos are better, it's more accurate, better OEM sights, better mags (IMO) and the mag release doesn't need a LAV mod right off the bat.

They are great guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    About Glock parts, my guess is that their widespread availability is part of the same marketing strategy that made the brand so popular with agencies and civilians.

S&W may be restrained here by liability concerns as defined by their board of directors.

I'm curious. Which parts are restricted in the M&P line?

Feedback Score
    I bought an M&P 9mm for my wife to shoot since it fits her hands better. I shoot the M&P now and again but I simply do not shoot it as well as either my G17 or even the G26. Its almost frustrating how I can't seem to shoot it to a degree that I'm satisfied (I had the same experience with the Beretta 92FS when I shot DA/SA guns. I simply shot the P226 better) I'm convinced its an individual thing. There will be people who prefer Glocks and there will be people who prefer M&P's. Its hard to prove or quantify which would be "better" for any one individual.

I would recommend 9mm Glocks or M&P's to almost anyone and let them decide which is better for them.
    Last edited by Ian111; 09-07-09 at 03:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a M&P9 and G17, I took them both to the range yesterday on the M&P's christining and shot about 500rds out of both of them. They both are fine weapons and I shoot them both the same. There are subtle diferences like the M&P's trigger, I didnt mind it but I liked the G17s better. The M&P is more ergonomical, but the Glocks isnt uncomfortable for me.

I dont think you can go wrong with either pistol, I just have to decided what compact model I am going to buy (first?)

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
    I'm convinced its an individual thing. There will be people who prefer Glocks and there will be people who prefer M&P's. Its hard to prove or quantify which would be "better" for any one individual.

I would recommend 9mm Glocks or M&P's to almost anyone and let them decide which is better for them.

I agree. I think the two guns are close enough in quality and performance that it really cones up to a matter of personal preference. Once this point is reached, then years will be spent arguing personal preference by some on the internet.

It's kind of like asking an individual which type of woman they prefer, blond or red head. Personal choice. But some will always want to argue why their choice should be preferred by all. Fortunately those types of arguments are rare on this site.

Feedback Score
    Some very good points here. I hope I am in no way seen as knocking the M&P, that was not my intention. The OP asked for reasons why some of us have switched back to the Glock after going with the M&P, this was my only intention. I don't think I left this impression but after reading a little more on this thread I just wanted everyone to understand this. If I could no longer own a Glock there are several other designs that would fill my needs, and the M&P would be at the top of that list. Some people get butt hurt when their choice is not everyone's choice. I think the OP did a good job phrasing his post, asking why we switched to the Glock from the M&P, not that one design was better than the other. I just read a thread that got out of hand and thought I would inject this just to remind ourselves not to take these things personal.

After going back and rereading the OP I see I misread just a bit but I hope I was still able to add to this thread's purpose.

Keep up the good work everyone.
    Last edited by jhs1969; 09-07-09 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have shot quite a few Glocks but have never owned one so my experience is limited.

Recently I picked up a used M&P40 and here are some differences I saw between it and a Glock:
    Trigger:
    Being a 1911 guy, it has taken some time with the trigger to get familiar with it but I still like it better than a Glock. It feels smoother to me and after I shoot a mag or two through a Glock my trigger finger feels sore.

Feeding:
    I like the fact that the M&P40 has a fully supported chamber. This can be a good and a bad thing because the gaping chamber on a Glock can aid in reliability but create problems with reloads. My M&P40 will not feed semi-wadcutter profile bullets that feed fine in a Glock so I have switched to all truncated bullets and no longer have issues.

Ergonomics:
    This is where the M&P shines. People before me have raved about how soft the M&P40 shoots and I can only agree. I have had issues with the slide failing to lock back because my thumb bumps the slide release. I never saw this when shooting a Glock but it can be overcome with a little training.

The top of the slide on the Glock is way too square for me. I like a tapered slide because I find it easier to use in aquiring the front sight.

Accuracy:
    I assume the Glock is accurate enough but I have never been able to master the gun in that department. The M&P has proven to be much easier to shoot even though I am still learning the trigger.

Six shot groups:
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast