Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the difference with wolf ammo

Feedback Score
    bkb0000 is on the money as far as my experince and observations.

The black box Wolf I have at the moment says:

.223 REM
    62 GR. COPPER FMJ
    STEEL CASE
    NON-CORROSIVE BOXER PRIMED

The bullets are copper jacket as confirmed with the magnet test.This ammo also does not have the red case neck sealant on the cartridges.
    But also like bkb0000,the ammo I have is from around 2002.

The Wolf Classic line that Ive had recently is copper washed steel jacketed bullets which was also confirmed with the magnet test.

As far as the polymer coated vs. laquer...personally I prefer the laquer coated cases as Ive had fewer issues with it.Ive had some of the polymer coated cases actually form rust on the cases...never seen this with the laquer coated cases.

The gumming up of chambers was found to be the fault of the red case mouth sealant that was discontinued years ago do to the issues.Clear indicator if you have ever stuck a case with it and once cleaned the red crap flakes out on the chamber brush.

That said,Ive seen recent lots of Wolf classic with the red case neck sealant and polymer coated cases.So some may be seen other places as well.Every box of Barnaul made ammo Ive used has the red case neck sealant.All still use the red sealant on the primers and tends to end up all over the bolt and in the lower.So I'd PM the weapons decently after use regardless.

From what Ive found is if the chamber is cleaned frequently using a solvent like Hoppe's No.9 and a USGI chamber brush the stuck case issue is greatly reduced,red case neck sealer or not.That said I try to hit the chambers every 200-400 rounds just to keep things running smooth when using the cheap import ammo at the range.

And my final note,I emailed Wolf on the question of "is it .223 Rem or 5.56" due to some issues with it in .223 Rem chambered rifles.Specifically the ogive of the bullet was being forced into the rifling at the lead(clearly marked too) and causing pressure issues.
    The reply I got from Wolf was that the ammo is loaded to the long side of the 5.56 NATO spec and it was recommended that a 5.56 NATO spec chamber be used.
    I think the oval profile of the 55gr ball ogive and it being further foward causes the issues with tight leades.
    Now the 62 gr.FMJ profile is more streamlined with the ogive further back closer to the case neck,so issues with tight leades are less with that ammo in my experience.The 62gr. FMJ is also a much better designed boat tail bullet(more accurate too) than the 55gr. ball.

With all that said,I would only use or recommend that the .223 Rem WOLF,Barnaul,Brown Bear,Silver Bear etc. be used in proper 5.56 NATO spec chambers.Otherwise its been my experience that you can expect issues.
    HTH
    Last edited by Blankwaffe; 09-06-09 at 18:17. Reason: ETA
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Armed Protective Services II

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12