Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR Pistols (humor me)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

AR Pistols (humor me)

Alright, I jumped in an AR pistol thread on another gun forum, and for the life of me can not see why anyone would use an AR pistol for serious social purposes, other than a novelty item at the range, or an interim step to an SBR.

So, in M4Carbine style, let's talk about AR pistols. I don't need to know about ballistics of a 5"-10" barrel, as I've read quite a bit about SBR ammo selection.

I want folks to talk about positive and negatives of an AR pistol in shooting, concealment, split times, etc...

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    OK, here's my opinion. I love AR's and I think the pistols look cool. I would buy one if the price was more set to being a weapon that would see little use. They are way overpriced, in my opinion. I can't justify buying one when I can get another AR rifle for just a bit more.

dog

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I don't even know where to begin.

My experience (Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97S) was nothing but good training for malfunction clearing. Seriously, I had so many malfunctions, consecutively, that it was absurd.

Unweildy

With no butt-stock, the only way to support the weapon is with a single-point sling extended with a lot of exertion outward.

Aiming is difficult

A red dot is MANDATORY in order to be able to hit targets.

Recoil

The cartridge isn't widely known for its recoil, but on a pistol it really comes out.

Noise

Earpro-busting loudness. I still got "Star Wars Radio" sound effects in my ears through my earpro.

Severely reduced muzzle velocity

Self-explanatory

I see infinitely more drawbacks to pluses on the AR pistol. YMMV. For me, once bitten, twice shy. The Carbon-15 is one of those "great in theory" "sounds good on paper" sort of ideas, but the reality is 180 from that little fantasy. It sucked. It sucked majorly.

Feedback Score
    Just a novelty item....in all honesty, not much different from a SBR....you are just short a buttstock.

I haven't experienced a ton of recoil, nor do I have issues with irons. I can hit a steal man sized target at 200yards with irons from a 7.5in upper.

The PWS Diablo is 8.5in and it bangs steal at 300yrds all day long. Though these guns make it out that distance....they still lack muzzle velocity.

The most common way to fire an AR pistol is "cheeking" it. ---> video of cheeking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL_mlvnw21g

I like to shoulder it and I have no problems doing so.

Your best bet and best results in an AR pistol will be from an upper size known to be reliable in SBRs.....10.5 and beyond.
    Last edited by technique; 09-06-09 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    AR Pistols are great. They make it very easy to create an SBR. Outside of that I am not sure what the real purpose is.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by technique View Post
    Just a novelty item....in all honesty, not much different from a SBR....you are just short a buttstock.
    Kind of an important part in an SBR.

I think the above video is a perfect example of how useless they are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The ONLY reason why I keep a pistol lower around is to be able to have short barreled uppers, WA state isn't a free state. That being said, I don't actually build any pistols with it anymore because I hated shooting it with a very nice BCM 11.5" upper so much. The longer I own it, the less I like having a "pistol" that gathers dust.

Feedback Score
    Humor you? Okay...

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Clear...s_OA-93_Pistol

CIA agent John Clark can't be wrong, can he?

GLOCK PREFECTION

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I see no point. Never have.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I see no point. Never have.
    They work great with Liberian style tactical shooting positions...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast