Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P vs. P99 -- M&P lost

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah, but the M&P probably didn't have a serial number that started with FAG - unlike 95% of the P99s I've seen (about 25).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by radon View Post
    ... but I'm forever in search of the perfect do it all gun.
    Credibility: Zero.

M_P

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Did I miss something here? Is this a secret M&P Koolaid board? I personally never owned one and never will. There are so many great guns out there...I don't understand why you guys bash Radon for liking his P99 more then the M&P!?
    Personally, I favor H&K's but feel no need to talk down to guys who like something else better...

Feedback Score
    So is my m&p that is in my night stand going to fail? It has never failed while I was shooting it, so why would it fail when I take it out to shoot it and put it away dirty again?

It has however failed to eject and stove pipe and shot brass directly back when someone else was shooting it. My girlfriend has had those issues with it, but she has very bad technique, tiny little wrists, and no desire to do it right.

With the 10 pound trigger this must be a California model, because my six year old daughter can pull the trigger in my fs 9mm.

Feedback Score
    If you bet your life on a gun that requires "good technique" to reliably fire and extract, well I have nothing to add to that...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, I see a couple of things wrong with this "test"...I'd suggest getting the M&P back from S&W and shooting about 4-500 rnds through it to break it in, By that time you'll notice that the trigger will have smoothed up considerably, I'd also try different backstraps I have a Midsized.45 M&P and found that the large backstrap worked the best, even though the Medium felt a little better. The M&P is also very unforgiving of poor trigger control these pistols are very accurate, so, if you're not shooting well with it it's probably you, and not the pistol. It took me awhile to learn that lesson.... The 9mm M&P's seem to have some trouble with the chambers, most seem to run after a trip back to S&W, My.45 dosen't have these problems..so far, 1800 rnds through it and NO failures...Fit and finish are subjective....The M&P wasn't designed to be put on display, it was designed to be used...hard. The finish they use is up to the job...You want to see a lousy finish, go look at a CZ with a polymer finish...the one I had looked like it was painted on by a 12yr old... Seriously, Run some rounds through the M&P, and retest..you might be suprised...
    Last edited by ralph; 09-07-09 at 08:49.

Feedback Score
    Holding a gun with enough force to to let the slide do is its job is the only good technique needed. She can't do that and obviously you can't either. I'm not a strong guy but I can fire my m&p with one hand strong and weak and still have no problems.
    I trust my gun because it WORKS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Well, I see a couple of things wrong with this "test"...I'd suggest getting the M&P back from S&W and shooting about 4-500 rnds through it to break it in, By that time you'll notice that the trigger will have smoothed up considerably, I'd also try different backstraps I have a Midsized.45 M&P and found that the large backstrap worked the best, even though the Medium felt a little better. .
    ^This. I have also read that the large back strap works best for people even though they think they need the small or medium, because they shoot better with it.

Feedback Score
    So, the 20 or so other handguns I've owned over the years that did not have consistent FTE problems didn't mind how I gripped them, but the M&P does? And you think this is a good/normal/acceptable thing for the M&P? Evidently you missed the part about me shooting another lightweight semi at the same time that had no FTE problems.

Guns that require "technique" to be reliable are worthless, IMO, as it's quite possible someone in the family besides you will need to fire it to protect their life someday. Not that I think you have the slightest idea what you are talking about when it comes to the M&P, as I have not heard anyone else who thinks the M&P is susceptable to limp wristing.

And besides, the M&Ps have well documented FTE problems--guess you need to go tell those guys on Enos' forums to stop limp wrisitng their guns.

It's amazing how the fanboys come out of the woodwork when their pet gun of the day doesn't get rave reviews by everyone, and the personal attacks fly. Your M&P is not an infallable platform---get over it.

BTW, you wouldn't by chance be related to Steve?

Feedback Score
    Ralph, thanks for the constructive input. I will give it one more chance after I send it to S&W--but only one.

Of course its possible I just got a lemon, but its distressing that a significant percentage of these guns do not seem to work well out of the box. In this day and age of QC, there is no reason for that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast