Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M&P vs. P99 -- M&P lost

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by radon View Post
    So, the 20 or so other handguns I've owned over the years that did not have consistent FTE problems didn't mind how I gripped them, but the M&P does? And you think this is a good/normal/acceptable thing for the M&P? Evidently you missed the part about me shooting another lightweight semi at the same time that had no FTE problems.

Guns that require "technique" to be reliable are worthless, IMO, as it's quite possible someone in the family besides you will need to fire it to protect their life someday. Not that I think you have the slightest idea what you are talking about when it comes to the M&P, as I have not heard anyone else who thinks the M&P is susceptable to limp wristing.

And besides, the M&Ps have well documented FTE problems--guess you need to go tell those guys on Enos' forums to stop limp wrisitng their guns.
    I owned a 9mm P99 and it was a good little handgun. I eventually got rid of it because it wasn't as good of an overall package as the M&P in my opinion.

SOME M&P's have had feed issues out of the box...issues that S&W is usually able to clear up. The cause is not limp wristing.

When you purchase *any* mass produced item there is a risk that the particular specimen you actually buy will have a problem. The M&P's don't have any more of a problem in aggregate than any other service grade handgun...in fact, it can be argued that they have considerably fewer issues than a number of other popular handguns on the market.

Those of us who have been using handguns for serious social purposes for a while have learned that NO ONE is immune from producing a particular specimen that has problems, and that it's generally best to take ANY firearm you intend to use to save your bacon and run at least 500 rounds (including carry ammo) through the weapon to ensure that it functions properly.

If you encounter a problem, get in touch with the factory and get it resolved. Smith & Wesson has excellent customer service as a rule.

It's amazing how the fanboys come out of the woodwork when their pet gun of the day doesn't get rave reviews by everyone, and the personal attacks fly. Your M&P is not an infallable platform---get over it.
    No one has ever claimed them to be infallible.

If you'll go back and read the M4Carbine.net rules you'll see this:

4) Contact The Manufacturer or Dealer First – Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry. If you have an issue with a manufacturer or dealer that you would like to resolve, we ask that your first contact them to resolve it.
    This rule exists for a reason. As those who have taken classes in statistics and research will tell you, samples of 1 are not reliable enough to draw useful information from. Many on this board have considerably more experience with the M&P than you do and as such it would be better to solicit advice from them than to make broad assertions about the platform with limited experience and only internet grumblings as a justification.

For the future I would strongly suggest working on your people skills and being much more hesitant to throw terms like "fanboy" at other posters.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 09-07-09 at 09:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by radon View Post

Of course its possible I just got a lemon, but its distressing that a significant percentage of these guns do not seem to work well out of the box. In this day and age of QC, there is no reason for that.

Significant percentage of M&Ps have QC issues? Are you just pulling this stuff out of your 4th point of contact? There have been some issues with the longslide 9mms but the rest of the product line is solid in my experience. Of course I've only been shooting them for about 3 years and been issued one for 2. My agency currently has approximately 1400 M&Ps on the street and we have yet to encounter any of these wide spread QC issues. There are no QC issues with my 4 personal M&Ps either. My experience with them must be a fluke.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123