Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Best" Ambi Safety?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

"Best" Ambi Safety?

Besides me not being able to find one in stock, I have a question has to who makes the "Best" Ambi Safety for the M-4/M-16 and civilain variations.

I currently have a Rock River on a Carbine that has a great smooth positive feel. However, the worrier part of me doesn't like the set screw inside the reciever. Rock River Standard Trigger Group.

My original "test mule" DMR has a DPMS ambi safety on it. Much rougher feel and not as positive as the Rock River. Rock River Match Trigger Group.

Right now the only part I'm missing on my current DMR build is a Ambi Safety. Stag, BCM or Armalite all seem to be a option, or LMT. My concern with the LMT is the Rainier website describes them has being longer for billet recievers, vs. my Noveske lower, with Geissele SSA (Semi).

I searched the old threads and didn't seem to get a best answer, just the whys and the availibles. I'm cross dom and shoot left handed. I operated the safety with the base knuckle of my firing hand for 20+ years of Infantry life. I now prefer a ambi safety. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I have only used the LMT ambi safeties, so I have nothing to compare them to, but I like them very much. The first one I got was included with a LMT lower, I never experimented further; I have them on all my carbines now.

I have a Noveske with a Geissele SSA and LMT Ambi safety, and it fits perfectly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am using 2 DPMS's, and just scored a Stag. Only place I could find one was Stag. They all seem about the same to me, they work, do what I what them to do. I don't know who makes them, whether inhouse or not.

The one I bought years ago from Bushmaster was not to my liking, it worked, but the install required putting this tiny roll pin in, not pleasant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    Besides me not being able to find one in stock, I have a question has to who makes the "Best" Ambi Safety for the M-4/M-16 and civilain variations.

I currently have a Rock River on a Carbine that has a great smooth positive feel. However, the worrier part of me doesn't like the set screw inside the reciever. Rock River Standard Trigger Group.

My original "test mule" DMR has a DPMS ambi safety on it. Much rougher feel and not as positive as the Rock River. Rock River Match Trigger Group.

Right now the only part I'm missing on my current DMR build is a Ambi Safety. Stag, BCM or Armalite all seem to be a option, or LMT. My concern with the LMT is the Rainier website describes them has being longer for billet recievers, vs. my Noveske lower, with Geissele SSA (Semi).

I searched the old threads and didn't seem to get a best answer, just the whys and the availibles. I'm cross dom and shoot left handed. I operated the safety with the base knuckle of my firing hand for 20+ years of Infantry life. I now prefer a ambi safety. Thanks.
    The RRA should hold up fine if you use blue loctite on the set screw.
    Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 09-08-09 at 19:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What about this?
    http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=320

No screws to come loose.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Fish View Post
    What about this?

No screws to come loose.
    Hum, I hadn't seen those. It's a thought, but I think I'm going to stick with a ambi.

Feedback Score
    I put a RRA Ambi-Star on my 1st AR (a RRA Entry Tactical - "fixed" thanks to this forum). I have now installed a couple more and like the positive feel of the action. At first I was concerned by the internal screw, but after a little Blue all has been fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i've had the lever break - never had a screw come loose. loctite is your friend.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i'm a fan of the RR ambi selector, and the set screw doesnt bug me. its just not a high-stress, or even moderate stress part- that screw aint coming out if you blast it with some brake cleaner or gun scrubber, let dry, and loctite. even that's probably overkill, but thats how i roll.

i prefer the internal screw to the exterior LMT style- i cant actually remember why, unfortunately.. but i once had a really good reason. so now i buy me LMT lowers with standard selector and pop RRA selectors in 'em.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Fish View Post
    What about this?

No screws to come loose.
    Similar to this, I've read that the new Colt 6920 & 6940 have selectors that are reversible for lefties, they must have a set of detent holes on each side.

Feedback Score
    I have a few different brands, Stag, LMT, DPMS, RRA....the last one I got was a custom made out of a LMT ambi by unclemoak on TOS. He ordered a bunch from LMT and milled them KAC PDW style, and reparked them. Very happy with it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mvician View Post
    I have a few different brands, Stag, LMT, DPMS, RRA....the last one I got was a custom made out of a LMT ambi by unclemoak on TOS. He ordered a bunch from LMT and milled them KAC PDW style, and reparked them. Very happy with it.
    What does he charge for those modified LMTs, and do you think he would relieve the other side for a lefty?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    OP-Are you wrong-handed only? If so, buy a Colt Semi Selector #SP63000. It is reversible.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"How much need does the average civilian need for patrolling techniques” LAV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDooley View Post
    What does he charge for those modified LMTs, and do you think he would relieve the other side for a lefty?
    They were $46 each shipped. I bought two right handed models and 1 left handed for my son who is wrong-handed. So far, I am very happy with them. He said he may do another batch soon.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
    OP-Are you wrong-handed only? If so, buy a Colt Semi Selector #SP63000. It is reversible.
    not wrong handed, just STRONGLY wrong eyed, hence I have been shooting long guns from the "weak" side for going on 24 years. I made the change while prepping for the USAEUR Rifle Match in mid 80s on a M-16A1. I was glad to see the A2 with it's case deflector. Those half moon burns all over my right cheek where not to bad, but the odd case that got trapped under the chin strap could ruin the transition to the next target. It was a nice summer SD for the three years it lasted, 800 or so rounds a day, 3 days a week for 3 months. That was also one of the places I learned the M-16 was more reliable then given credit for. Other then a wipe down with oil and a rag we didn't clean them for the whole SD period(and some patches through the bore)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Been using a JP ambi safety for a few months with no issues. Used red locktite on both the adjustment screw and assembly screws. I am by no means HSLD or a 3 gun competitor, but like my JP ambi. It's also nice not to stone/file any surfaces for proper fit between safety and trigger.

MP

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mvician View Post
    Great pictures!! I need one, but who is unclemoak? I did a search and came up with a car dealer on eBay.

Feedback Score
    I got my ambi safety from Blackheart International ($35.00 + S&H).

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK View Post
    Great pictures!! I need one, but who is unclemoak? I did a search and came up with a car dealer on eBay.
    I'm very happy with mine as well, nice job. unclemoak is on TOS.

Feedback Score
    been running dpms ambi safety's on all my rifles for some time now - no issues at all - for what it's worth i like the fact that the retaining screw is in the center of the safety

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast