Thread: Burwell vs. S&W PC M&P work

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Burwell vs. S&W PC M&P work

I'm issued a S&W M&P 40 at work. Mine is of the MPV*** SN group and I was issued it back in 12/07 (I think my department actually got the gun in 09/07). Some of our guns have suffered from surface rust issues on the slides, but nothing major that I'm aware of.

The one issue (if you can call it that) I have with my M&P is in regards to the trigger. I have over 1k rounds through my gun (I don't carry it on duty right now) and it has smoothed up a bit, but it still has has a hard break and a long and not real positive reset. I also don't care for the Novak sights.

We are allowed to have work done on personal guns, but are not allowed to modify department issued guns at all. This includes changing the sights.

I know that since we were issued our guns the M&P has gone through some updates and changes. I'm looking now at buying my own M&P 40 so I can have a decent set of sights and get a trigger job done. I'll have the slide and slide stop refinished in NP3 or a similar finish. I also want whatever updates were done to the gun.

So here are my questions. Is Burwell's work appropriate for a duty gun? How does it compare to the S&W PC center's trigger job. I want a good trigger pull with a positive reset (more Glock or 1911 like), but I don't want to compromise safety. What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldnt hesitate to use a Burwell'ed gun for duty use. I have 3 M&Ps that he has worked and they are great.

No expereince with the Performance Center though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have the Burwell carry trigger on my main carry M&P. It compares favorably with the PC sear installed by S&W. The reset on my gun is very short, but rather indistinct. I've learned to work with it just fine, however.

Another option is to have S&W install the PC sear and the Massachusetts trigger bar and spring. The combination yields a nice break with a very positive reset similar to a Glock's.

If you get a trigger job I wouldn't go any lighter than the Burwell carry trigger.

North of the border between the US and Miami
    Feedback Score
    I have a M&P .45 Mid size that I sent to the PC. Absolutely love it. The trigger is super smooth at 4.5 lbs. and the reset is much better. It took four days and it was door to door service. Great customer service.
    SNY

Feedback Score
    Another option is to buy a Mass compliant gun and send it to Dan to have the sear worked on with a polish job. This would be cheaper than having the PC guys add the Mass parts (trigger bar, trigger return spring, and most importantly sear spring and sear) to a normal gun.

[minor rant on]
    Sure wish we could purchase these parts direct from S&W or 3rd party like one can for Glocks.
    [minor rant off]
    Last edited by beastfrog; 09-08-09 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    I have the Burwell carry trigger on my main carry M&P. It compares favorably with the PC sear installed by S&W. The reset on my gun is very short, but rather indistinct. I've learned to work with it just fine, however.

Another option is to have S&W install the PC sear and the Massachusetts trigger bar and spring. The combination yields a nice break with a very positive reset similar to a Glock's.

If you get a trigger job I wouldn't go any lighter than the Burwell carry trigger.
    Hmmm; my guns have pretty distinct reset

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    While I am a big fan of Dan's work and have many M&Ps done by him dont rule out David Bowie. I have one trigger job done by him and the reset is just awsome. More of my pistols will be heading that way in the future.

David is also LE if that is of any interest to you.

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/testimonials.html

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    Hmmm; my guns have pretty distinct reset
    I'll have to do a careful side-by-side comparison of the reset of my Burwelled M&P and my stock guns to be 100%...but other than being considerably shorter, I don't recall a difference in the reset. I try to keep a relatively young trigger return spring in the gun to assist in making the reset as distinct as possible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    I'll have to do a careful side-by-side comparison of the reset of my Burwelled M&P and my stock guns to be 100%...but other than being considerably shorter, I don't recall a difference in the reset. I try to keep a relatively young trigger return spring in the gun to assist in making the reset as distinct as possible.
    We'll have to do a comparison of each other's pistols in the near future

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    While I am a big fan of Dan's work and have many M&Ps done by him dont rule out David Bowie. I have one trigger job done by him and the reset is just awsome. More of my pistols will be heading that way in the future.

David is also LE if that is of any interest to you.

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/testimonials.html
    I'm also a fan of Mr. Bowie's work. I think the reset is fine.