Thread: Strange ammo issue

Feedback Score

Strange ammo issue

First off, let me say I'm still a newcomer to shooting so this may actually be something that's relatively common but it's new to someone like me so that's why I'm asking.

I took my new M&P40 to the range today to try her out but started out by practicing with the carry gun it's going to be replacing, my XDm-40. I was using 180 gr. Blazer FMJ ammo that I'd used plenty of times before but I noticed something strange this time - after examining the close-range targets I was noticing little pieces of metal shrapnel embedded in the target (there wasn't a lot but enough for me to notice). I shot about 130 rounds before stopping out of concern for my guns. The bullets were making well-defined round holes as always and the spent casings seemed all intact. The only explanation I could come up with was that the copper jackets on some of the bullets were breaking up and shedding pieces when fired.

I showed some of the pieces to one of the range's employees that knows me and he thought that was probably the correct assessment. I was worried the fragments might damage the rifling of my barrels so I stopped my practice short but he assured me it shouldn't be an issue.

After getting my guns home and cleaning the barrels the rifling did look pristine so I felt better.

What I want to know is whether this is an unusual problem and is it true there should be no danger to my guns by continuing to use the ammo?
    Last edited by FF750; 09-09-09 at 00:55.