Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H&K USP 9mm Pros/Cons

Feedback Score

H&K USP 9mm Pros/Cons

I've been taking a gander at the HK USP 9mm. I'm not set on the full-size or compact, as this will primarily be a range/home defense gun. The Glock 19 is currently pulling CCW duties, but I'm not opposed to switching it out from time to time with another gun.

So, can someone give me the rundown on the USP/USPc, what the positives and negatives are regarding things like: accuracy, trigger pull, parts and mags, etc.

Or would someone recommend something else all together? I'm mostly looking for something in a DA/SA trigger and would like one of the higher quality makes/models like HK, Sig.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Why do you want a different trigger in your HD/range gun from your Glock? Are you hoping for an ND/AD in the middle of the night to spice things up?

And yes, as you guessed, magazines and parts are difficult to find for the USP unless you are in the Bundeswehr.

M_P

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had an HK USP full sized for about a year. It was a nice gun, it was just bigger than I wanted. I have run the HK USPc LEM in .40 S&W since 2001. If you get the HK, get the LEM trigger group. Also, take a look at the P2000. It is the USPc with some nice ergonomic upgrades; it is fully ambidextrous, with controls on both sides of the pistol (Mag release and slide release), it has removable backstraps so you can fit it to your hand, and it uses USPc magazines. I also run the P2000SK, the sub-compact version. I have had no issues at all with either pistol. I'd recommend any of the three, P2000, P2000SK, or the USPc for carry use. They aren't cheap but I have always felt that I got what I paid for.

There is no issue at all in procuring USPc/P2000 magazines. They can be found about anywhere. If you are LE you can buy the pistol and all the mags you want straight from HK.
    Last edited by kmrtnsn; 09-09-09 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    What M_P said.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I don't see how DA/SA is going to initiate an ND.

That's been one of the single biggest mind-blowers for me.

I will agree with the Sea Dog that finding magazines for the USPs can be both difficult and expensive.

Other than that, HK, in my opinion, is the single-greatest small-arms manufacturer bar none.

I've never owned a pistol that can take an ass-beating like the USP can, and still spit lead.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    a pistol that can take an ass-beating like the USP can,
    I tend to treat things that I depend on for my life with respect. I tend to maintain them, be careful with them and don't beat them with my ass.

I don't see how DA/SA is going to initiate an ND.
    A typical DA pull weight is 12 lbs.

A typical Glock pull weight is 5.5 lbs.

If you practice with a DA/SA gun you will train yourself to expect that trigger.

Pretty simple, really.

M_P
    Last edited by Business_Casual; 09-09-09 at 11:43.

Feedback Score
    I guess I should clarify a bit

This won't be my primary home defense gun, it'll just be part of the stable. I understand "The man who owns one gun" mentality, I'd just like to have something with a little more class and refinement than my Glock's and XD. Also, I'd like something a tad more accurate for the range.
    I actually would prefer the Sig, but from everything I've read, the QC is just not that great anymore, and if I'm going to shell out that kind of change, I want more than just the name for my money.

Feedback Score
    Why not the P2000 or the P30 then?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15thur View Post
    I guess I should clarify a bit

This won't be my primary home defense gun, it'll just be part of the stable. I understand "The man who owns one gun" mentality, I'd just like to have something with a little more class and refinement than my Glock's and XD. Also, I'd like something a tad more accurate for the range.
    I actually would prefer the Sig, but from everything I've read, the QC is just not that great anymore, and if I'm going to shell out that kind of change, I want more than just the name for my money.
    "Class" and "refinement" are not words I would use in regards to polymer-framed handguns.....

I would say, however, that if you're looking at an HK handgun, the P30 with the LEM system set up the way that Todd Green's gun is set up would be worth looking into. I've had some trigger time on his pistol and it's a very nice handgun. The P30 is a refinement of the USP design...a much-needed refinement, in my view. I don't see why people are still buying the original USPs.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 09-09-09 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    I'm not against the P30 or P2000. Neither model is available nearby for me to actually take a look at though.

How do they compare to the USP in terms of accuracy, trigger pull, etc.?

Also, I've never used it, but the DAK/LEM style of trigger seems like it would be strange and hard to get used to. But I really don't know.

EDIT: Also, I know it's not refined like a nice 1911 or anything, but hopefully it won't be as finicky either.
    Last edited by AR15thur; 09-09-09 at 12:16.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast