Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: North Carolina Highway Patrol selects .357 M&P as their new duty sidearm

Feedback Score
    It seems like all of NC SHP has changed over to M&Ps in 357 Sig now. At one point a few months ago, I'd still see a Trooper with a P229 DAK in 357. Every Trooper I know likes the gun as previously mentioned. The M&P has taken over my area of NC by storm. So many agencies have switched over to it in the central NC area. I think Wake County Corrections was the first to change to the .40 M&P. Then other agencies such as Alamance County did also. The huge ones were when Raleigh Police changed to the M&P in 45. Charlotte PD also uses the M&P now. Durham County Sheriff's Office also uses the M&P 45....I'm pretty sure that Durham City Police is also going M&P. Don't know about the other areas, but the M&P has now eclipsed the Glock in my area. Morrisville PD still uses the Glock as well as NC State Police and State Capitol Police.

That being said, the 357 Sig round also has a following here. The Wake County Sheriff's Office still issues DA/SA P229s in 357 Sig. I believe some of the officers are issued newer models with light rails...mainly SRT and Canine units (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Feedback Score
    City and state have switched from Glocks in 9/357 to M&Ps and have been happy w them.

As far as terminal ballistics, info from FBI and Speer:

125/357 SIG, P229

bare gel 14.7/.64
    cloth 17.3/.51
    steel 16.4/.50

124/9 GD +P, G19

bare gel 12/.73
    cloth 12.5/.64
    steel 17/.46

I've seen other gel tests where they were even closer. Both seem to be working fine for the PDs that use them.
    Last edited by MikeO; 08-28-10 at 14:35.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678