Thread: Question About Grip/Trigger Guard Replacement

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)

Question About Grip/Trigger Guard Replacement

I've got a S&W MP15T and have a Magpul MIAD grip kit coming.

Looking at the way my grip is attached to the lower, there appears to be a bolt in the bottom opening of the grip that has a round head with a round recess in the center. Doesn't appear to be a socket hex or a wrench hex. Am I looking at taking the trigger assembly out of this gun to remove the grip and install the new one?

Also, the trigger guard has two pins. The rear pin is a rolled pin all the way through and shouldn't be a problem. The pin on the front is solid but is not a through pin. Only pins from one side. How do I get this out?

Scoby

Feedback Score
    The front pin on the trigger guard is a plunger. Just press it in and it releases to flap the trigger guard down. Meant for shooting with heavy gloves

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    to swap pistol grips, all you do is unscrew the screw, using whatever head bit it is- they're usually slotted screw driver, but alot are hex and even torx. once the screw is backed all the way out, just pull the grip off. be sure to pull straight down, as the selector detent and spring are captured by the pistol grip, and if you jerk the grip around from side to side or rock it too hard, you'll bend/break the spring. the spring isn't really under pressure- it won't "shoot" out on you.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 09-13-09 at 11:18.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Never thought about it being a plunger. Thanks bobafett.

I'll take a closer look at the grip screw but it doesn't look like a hex or a torx to me. If it is, then I don't have a problem.

Thanks guys.

Scoby

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Often the grip screw utilizes a 3/16" Allen wrench. Be sure to support the ears on the receiver when driving the rear roll pin in the trigger guard out as you can break them quite easily if you're not careful.
    Last edited by Hound_va; 09-13-09 at 14:48.