Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will NATO ever go with .45 ?

Feedback Score

Will NATO ever go with .45 ?

What do you think, will NATO ever go with .45 caliber as their standard pistol round instead of 9mm?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    No, there isn't much likelihood given the number of entities, terminal ballistics realities, and inter-operability.

I guess they might call it the 11mm.
    Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC
    World Class Tactical Compensators
    California Legal Compensators
    100% American Made
    www.battlecomp.com
    sales@battlecomp.com
    (650) 678-0778

1 Samuel 17:49 / Romans 13: 1-4 / Isaiah 6:8 / Psalms 144:1 / Matthew 12:30

Feedback Score
    The logistics of switching any NATO caliber make it difficult. In order to switch, there would have to be a perceived need to switch. In general, the handgun does not decide modern combat. With the proliferation of body armor, I can't honestly say that the .45 ACP is a game changer compared to the 9mm round for modern military applications.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    NATO switch to 45? Nope

Feedback Score
    Why should they?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    As others have stated, handguns are so low on the totem pole for a military, as well as the fact that for decades, Europeans were content to arm their militaries with .32 ACP handguns, and then stepped up to 9mm Para, that there is no reason for them to go to .45 ACP.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Templar has it correct. We're really the only NATO member with any semi-compelling reason to call for change. The rest of these countries have been quite content to use the 9x19mm, and they generally do not see it as a flawed choice, given (1) their views about the role of handguns in general, and (2) the fact that they are not as actively involved on current fields of conflict.

From the European perspective, .45 ACP is something of a dated offshore solution to a non-existent problem. They like the cartridge just fine, but see no real reason to step backward to go forward -- if indeed there is any real reason to abandon the status quo to begin with.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Nope, I think were going to have the 9mm for awhile longer. I believe only Special Forces will be using the 45acp, but Iread somewhere on the net that Special Forces were using the Glock in 40 caliber, but I can remember which forum I read it on, I'm getting old!

Feedback Score
    You guys are actually wrong...the reason NATO will never adopt .45acp is due to the fact that the only time they have seen its sheer awesomeness was when American servicemen were killing their grandfathers with it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 03humpalot View Post
    You guys are actually wrong...the reason NATO will never adopt .45acp is due to the fact that the only time they have seen its sheer awesomeness was when American servicemen were killing their grandfathers with it.

Dude......
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast