I was strongly considering purchasing another 1911 but, i've sort of changed my mind about that. I dont have any combat tupperware and am considering purchasing one now... strongly.

I'm considering either a glock or a M&P. I already have a Beretta 92FS 9mm and the 1911 thats me and my dads project gun. I'm considering one of the above in either 9mm, .40, or .45.

The gun would be a by the bed gun/SHTF gun so id doesnt have to be concealable, although that would be just fine.

My dad has a M&P 40 full size, so im gonna go buy a couple boxes of ammo and put a few hundred rds through that gun to see if i like it or not.

I've held both the glock 21 sf, m&p 45, g19 and I like the way they all point/feel.

I'm not worried about the cost of ammo (within reason) my local wally world always has 9mm/40/45 in stock and the cost difference isnt that huge.

If i go with a 40, its going to be an m&p, if i go with a .45 or a 9, its a toss up between the m&p and the glock.

Is the .45 that much better of a gun that you all would consider going with it over the 9mm? what about the .45? is 9mm more then enough gun for defensive purposes or would .40 be a considerably more effective cartridge? what about .45?

What im looking for is the most effective cartridge for self defense. the one most effective at putting a "bad guy" on the ground, fast; when my life or my families is at stake, and keeping him there till the coroner arrives.

what im set on the most right now is the M&P 40 and 45 (45a)

now lets here some ideas....