Thread: Recommend a side mount/red dot optic combo for an AKM?

Feedback Score

Recommend a side mount/red dot optic combo for an AKM?

Hi all,

I've been very impressed with the accuracy of my Jim Fuller-built AKM. I've been able to get regular hits on the 200-yard steel plate at my range using just the iron sights (from bench using magazine as bipod). I'd like to now see how much more accurately I can shoot using a side-mounted red dot optic.

To frame this discussion, here's what I'm looking for:

1. Side-mount that positions optic as close to the centerline as possible, but a little off to the left is fine. In fact, a little to the left would aid in shooting comfort a bit for me.

2. The red dot optic should be mounted as low as possible.

3. The position of the red dot optic would ideally be a bit more forward than traditional Com-Bloc-type optics. This would help during faster shooting exercises. I don't want it as forward as what an Ultimak rail would put it, but somewhere just aft of the AK's rear sight.

4. Don't want to use an Ultimak rail.

5. The red dot optic itself would ideally be easily transferrable to and useable on an AR-type rifle.

So... what side-mount, optic, and rings combo would you recommend for my use? One mount that does look promising if the MOLOT Extra Low Profile Side Mount, see here:

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ind...OD&ProdID=1631

But that comes with a Weaver rail instead of a Picatinney type. Still a viable option?

Thanks a lot for your time and sharing your knowledge.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris17404; 11-19-09 at 07:33.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The BP-02 mount will bring it about as low as is practical.

Swapping optics from the AK to the AR isn't going to be all that practical, as you'll have to re-zero every time you do that.

Using a side mount with an Aimpoint ML2/ML3 is probably what you should look at, with the lowest rings you can get.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    This mount is supposed to give you co-witness.

Not sure if i'm allowed to link to another site, but you might want to check this thread out.

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=112923