Thread: Black Hills 55gr. JSP

Feedback Score

Black Hills 55gr. JSP

Does anyone know the BC and MV of the Black Hills 55gr. JSP? Barrel is a 1:9 chrome lined 16" Stag. A buddy with Houston PD just finished his carbine course and plans to carry it on duty, so I thought I'd give him a little gift of an accurate range card. Unfortunately, HPD limits their officers to ONLY 55gr. soft point ammo in either the AR or Mini-14. The justification is that when the .223 was authorized for use in the 1980s, most officers who had personal ARs had SP1s (a few in the class last week still brought them, too) and the 55gr. has stuck with the department ever since. The JSP is because they don't want over-penetration...but modern pre-fragmented/fragmenting ammo is not authorized. This all from a department that requires its officers to purchase their own ammunition. Seems kind of strange, but I'm hoping some of you can help me out with the data since Black Hills' website doesn't provide much more than telling me how high speed their customer base is. Thanks.
    Last edited by usmc51; 09-13-09 at 22:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That BHA load most frequently uses the Hornady bullet. I believe the part# is 2266, but I can't find my notes. Call BHA at (605)348-5150. They can provide the info you need.

The 55gr JSP is at least a suboptimal choice in duty loads for patrol use. That being said, the BHA loading of it is supremely accurate and consistent. Many thousand rounds of it downrange. It does a great job on dogs and varmints. It's claimed several two-legged varmints, as well.