Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CACHES

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

caches

Caches in plan view have been in my families plan for about three years now. I have a friend who owns a 3300 acre ranch. It's 22 miles from town,has several year round springs, and lots of ravines.

About three years ago I got permission to store a wrecked family vehicle on the property in a line of other trashed cars that were already on the property. The difference being this one has a HUGE trunk and a red X on the door.

Colemen stove 5 gallons of white fuel, water filter, lots of food, tarps, tent, lots of ammo ".22 and 762x39 are in place. At first pack rats were problematic, we found that moth balls and amonia soaked rags will keep them at bay for several months at a time.

All food items are canned and or powder and are stored in double walled plastic air tight containers. SPAM will keep you alive for a very very long time when your jammed up.

Ive also left 5 older back packs in the cache all were from forestry fire fighters and smallish by design. Given to me when they were surveyed as to old for govt use. " There 20 yrs old yet brand new"

I use them cuz I don't want anybody being over burdened with excess stuff" weight" to bingo with to RPII. There is enough stuff for a family of 5 to stay hunkered down and out of sight for multiple weeks before they will be forced to move to RPII.

RPII is a 47 mile three day trek across the hills very rough volcanic rock to rock movement, to where my current duty station is. Again travelling at night thru the lower passes, and on obscure lake shores, just inside the tree lines.

Because I'm a Deputy I have to stay and attempt to keep peace and order, caring for those who can't defend themselve from the wolves.

It is understood in my family that they are on their own until they get to my patrol turf. They each have their own AK a chest pouch with 6 mags plus what's in the AK. "Well not my grandson". In fact he's less then one year old, and is in fact the wild card here.

I simply don't know the answer to moving with a new baby.

Anyway I can push out from my trailer/office to hook up with them in time. it's a shitty deal for the family, but how it has to be. When I signed on as a cop it was for the long haul, not just in good times.

We have seen the need for this for awhile, made reasonable plans to move fast, hunker down, gain strength them move on again to my trailer/office which is supplied with sufficiant stores to last all of us at least two months, or longer if rationed properly..

The family also understand not starting fights, yet the ability to finish one with speed and total violence if needed. IE Someone starts something, try to walk away, if it's obvious that they are intent on taking you or your gear, then **** them up big time with pure overwellming violence. " No sense trying to reason with a mad dog".

Of note is the fact that we do not rotate food , we belive that changing the food out every other year is a better stradegy. I do go in every few months and re apply copious amounts of moth balls to keep the rats and pack rats out.

So far it's works better then I thought it would. The rats have eaten the cars interior but not messed with the trunk area. O yea NOBODY except the family know of the junkers location, it's content,or what their marching plan is. Not even my daughter in law is prevy to that detail.

It is also understood that at RPI that all left items/food/shelter, and extra ammo are to be inventoried and secured properly before transit to RPII. It is possible that they will have to bingo back if it gets ugly. It's wise to know what you still have to measure the value of moving back.

The will to survive starts and finish's in our minds. Have a plan have the determination to accomplish the plan and understand that you may have to deviate from the plan at some point. O yea luck also plays a big part in this kind of unfortunate situation.

Dirk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blade_68 View Post
    plant them like a body, grave yards don't normaly move. when you say good bye aintie may send her on the way with an AK? marked location, I say other thoughts of container PVC pipe with cap glue bottom on RTV other, need to get open, and keep dry with small back pack in side old alice pack with straps. done a few caches as a kid and in military, ammo cans rust.
    Or even better, Bury them in a grave yard, with the markers for refence points. Then you only need to know the names of the dead folks. Very simple, and, if like me, you live in an area with lots of small, scattered, poorly maintained graveyards, you're good to go. Sorry if this sounds disrespectful or calous of me, but heck, it's survival. And no, I have not, nor would I do this myself, it is only offered as an option. My Mom wants to be cremated, but if she wanted to be buried, I would definitly bury her Makarov pistol and the X-hundreds of rounds she has with her. Don't think I'de go diggin' up my Mom though.
    Last edited by geminidglocker; 10-30-09 at 19:38.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The most important thing to remember about a Cache is to Pronounce it like CASH and not Cashay. The E is silent.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sarah Connors did it.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score

really?? 47 miles?

Damn Dirk. You would sell your family so you can still run your "turf". That sounds like a horrible plan. The sheep made their bed they can sleep in it. I'd never leave my family. There is a very low chance of anyone surviving. 47 miles? in 3 days? rough country, with a little kid? I understand wanting to live up to a persons duties but never at the cost of my family. Is the only reason they are doing this expedition because you wont return to them? Is there at least a significant benefit to going to you other than the fact you wont go to them. Are you staying for the right reasons? You just want to run a town, be a hero? Does all of your family have the tactical training needed and mental capacity for violence? Does the food cashes have baby supplies? Also does your friend know about what you stored on his land? Will he still be a friend when TSHTF? If you make that many trips to your secret cashes are you sure he hasn't seen you? Thats a lot of visits to / activity at a "secret" cashes. Wont the red X draw more attention to it. How sure are you that your son hasn't told his wife? What if he chooses not to go on this plan and stays with his family? How many does that leave to complete this, enough to keep secure? And all this because you're way too into your job. What is the likelihood of you surviving? Especially if you're getting between the "sheep" and the "wolves". I never have nor will I ever count on police for my personal safety. Aren't cops more of a target in this kind of situation? What if they went through all of this for you to not have made it? Then what? Ive never left a mad/mean reply online before, but I honestly was shocked and appalled by your post, it is selfish and unnatural. It actually upset me to a point of needing to say something
    Last edited by cheapbastard; 01-09-10 at 08:44.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I regret that post.

Offended?. Your offended that my family is prepared to do whatever it takes to make it thru.

Your offended that I intend to stand by my duty post and do what's right for those who don't have the skills or the resources to fend for themselves..

Your concerned that I don't have diapers. That I some how have violated my friends trust.

Your concerned that I would abandoned my family so that others might live.

Cheap OUR TROOPS DO IT EVERY DAY. for we the people. I have every intention of doing my part back here.

FYI the small community that I work in, has a very high percentage of young men and women in the military and deployed over sea's. There loved ones are here struggling to make ends meet.

Cheap I have every intention of protecting them at any cost. I owe it to them for their contribution. It's the right thing to do.

Peace.
    Dirk Williams

Cowards run, Cowards abandon their post.

Feedback Score

Coward?

I know about duty. I spent enough time at Ft Bragg and in Iraq to attest to that. And on the civilian side as a VFF and EMT. Cowards run?... In all the times we were ambushed, engaged, hit by an IED, I NEVER ran. Going to fight and serve in a war is one thing, leaving your family to fend for themselves in a time of struggle is another. Why put them in any more danger than is needed? You cant take time to go get them? Could they make it on their own until you could find some to cover for you temporarily? Anything but 47 miles of back country. If they already lived were you worked then by all means stay at your post but why make them suffer so you can stay. And its not just diapers.. baby food, formula? Is she breast feeding? If so you have extra rations for her. And yeah I'd be pissed if someone planned this on my land and I was not in the loop. What if he see's them and cant recognize them (winter clothes maybe? covering the face) right away and just see's armed people on his land. What will his reaction be?

I don't know your history but have you ever been in an fire fight? ambushed? Had part of a road explode in front of you? Extreme violence is not as macho and bad ass as it sounds. I've seen both giving and receiving end and it is something I would go to great lengths to not have my family subjected to. Even if it meant leaving my job or post. If the need arises then yes survive by all means but why increase their chances of having to use it or be subjected to it by others. My wife and I both have CCW and carry daily, I'm no 18 Bravo or Delta operator, but I am confident in my abilities and tactically proficient. My wife is very good with her side arm and knows how to use an AR. My daughters are 2 right now but they will learn how to take care of themselves. Willing and able to do what it takes is a good thing, making it the plan I think isn't so much. And if I were in Iraq and someone heard that there was civil unrest in their home state or city or county, I'd think nothing less of them if they wanted to return to keep them safe, I'd think it be crazy if they didn't want to. I guess were we differ is that my family that I love and made and that are my ultimate responsibility will always be my primary duty.
    Last edited by cheapbastard; 01-09-10 at 14:37.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

dam

Cheap I was not reffering to you when I mentioned cowardly acts. I was thinking of those cowards in New Orleans who ran like little bitch's.

Your just going to have to trust me when I say this. My friends land is not a problem. I shoot my sniper rifles there or ride my dirt bikes there all the time.

I don't care to go into my past history I will say this. I have been read my rights by DOJ and the FED'S and handed my weapons over on more then one occassion in the past twenty plus years. We simply did our jobs, in the end that was the documented outcome.

My grand son is over one now and mobile, eats regular food and drinks from a bottle or cup.

My family "wife and kids" are fairly hardy, with annual 50 miler back pack trips into the high country until a few years ago. Both kids ran cross country and spent many many many hours in the woods and are very comfortable with their weapons and things that go bump in the night.

It is most likely that we will have seen the suggested incident coming and the family will already be in my AO. The 1st post is worse case, no cars, no other options but to walk.

Cheap I think you may have under estimated the power of fear and it's motivation factor. My wife is a public school teacher for the past 25 years, she loves everybody to a point. I would pitty the fool that threatened our children or even worse our only grand child. If required she would simply put a bullet in their mellon and move thru the situation.

Cheap I share our plan, I really wished I would not have for this very reason. I don't know you or your plan. Even if I did I would not bash it cuz brother Im not wearing your shoes, or seeing life thru your eyes.

Thank you for your time.

Dirk Williams

Feedback Score

OK fair enough

Last edited by cheapbastard; 01-23-10 at 14:58.
    Natural selection has not played a role in Humanity for some time now... and its beginning to show...<- Cheap Bastard.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Sounds good

47 miles is a really long hike. If shit hit the fan I'd make like the Donner Party if I had to. Like I said that's worst case. We are committed to making it to the other side in one piece.

Our gear in the Cache is pretty much our older camp gear Tents, Stoves, 0 degree back pack bags, "smaller packs to keep the weight load down to a manageable weight". Multi gallons of fuel ETC ETC, It's still in great shape and totally funtional, just not the latest greatest widget. The long route is also the path least traveled, no slacker would even consider this route.

You do make good points as does everybody else who shared their idea's. Like I said I'm not here to judge any of you. You do what you need to do and hopefully it will work out.

My sense of duty and honor and commitment to the people I serve is all I have to give. to make a difference for the people is important. To cut and run would kill me I could never look in the mirror again with anything but contempt for myself. I would rather go to my grave trying to make a difference then that.

Brother good luck to you, should we ever meet the first cool on's on me.

Respectfully,
    Dirk Williams

I had an amusing/amazing conversation happen a week ago. A friend of mine, a very strong Christian friend was visiting while I was loading 20 mags. My friend inquired what the mags were for. I laughed and said for the chinese hord or armagedon.

He smiled, and being of faith told me he didn't have to worry about armogedon he was on the first boat out of here.

David looked at me and asked me if I was also on the first boat out.

I smiled kept loading mags and explained that I wasn't so sure about being on the first boat out.

That I may have to fight my way to that boat. And for that reason I was going to keep these freshly loaded mgs and the stick they go in handy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast