Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the MP9 worth the extra $$$ over a G19

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I see no reason to suggest someone pay more for an M&P over a G19. 9mm Glocks are world renowned for their reliability and most would agree the G19 is damn near perfectly sized for a carry/do it all handgun. Plus I have never heard of Glocks being bothered by large amounts of dry firing. While that may or may not affect your choosing a handgun it was my main reason for going back to Glock 9mm G19’s & G17’s.
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was just at GT Distributors the other day and purchased an M&P 40 without night sights. It was $459 w/ 3 mags. The night sight version is $519 plus tax. I wanted one but the Austin PD cadets wiped the night sight models clean. I called last Friday and there were 3 left. Not the case when I arrived.
    Glocks without night sights are $398 plus tax and come with 3 mags.

I've owned several of the popular 40 cal models (G22, XD40, Sig P229, Sig P226) and by far the M&P is the best (for me). It feels balanced and points well. Ergos are great as well as accuracy. However you can't beat the Glock for it's simplicity and reliability. I've never had a problem with my G22. I've had one FTF in over 2K rounds. I still own it along with the XD40. The 9mm models should be no different.

If you can't decide, get both.
    Last edited by 021411; 09-16-09 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    I was just at GT Distributors the other day and purchased an M&P 40 without night sights. It was $459 w/ 3 mags. The night sight version is $519 plus tax. I wanted one but the Austin PD cadets wiped the night sight models clean. I called last Friday and there were 3 left. Not the case when I arrived.
    Glocks without night sights are $398 plus tax and come with 3 mags.

I've owned several of the popular 40 cal models (G22, XD40, Sig P229, Sig P226) and by far the M&P is the best (for me). It feels balanced and points well. Ergos are great as well as accuracy. However you can't beat the Glock for it's simplicity and reliability. I've never had a problem with my G22. I've had one FTF in over 2K rounds. I still own it along with the XD40. The 9mm models should be no different.

If you can't decide, get both.
    I will have to go up there and see what they have(I want to pick up a Spec-Ops riggers belt). They seem to always have stuff that is obviously not on their website. I think at 459 without night sites I would be very tempted between that and the non-night sight G19 at $395.

I appreciate the comments and I dont think I will go wrong either way. I like my XD40SC(even though lots on here dont like them) and have had over 2000 rounds through mine with no problems, just want a 9mm and want to get the best money can buy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    One day I'll fork over the cash and get a G19 to add to the collection. I don't know any owner that hates their G19. It's inexpensive, reliable, and easy to conceal for the most part. It's a well rounded carry weapon.
    "Surveys" often favor the G19. I guess the same could be stated for the M&P9.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I am looking at picking up a 9mm and am trying to decide between an MP9 and a G19. The Glock is $395 and the MP is $519. I know both guns are GTG, but is the MP worth the extra $120 over the Glock? If it is, why is it worth $120 more?
    If I could only afford one it would be the Glock 19.
    I own a Glock 19, as well as a 17 and 26. All three are carry guns.

At work I open carry a M&P45 and use it for CDP division of IDPA. In USPSA Production I compete with a M&P Pro. I can shoot the M&Ps instinctively more accurately and can reload them faster (probably since they feel very much like a 1911 in my hand and I grew up shooting 1911s). This is not to say that I can't shoot Glocks well or reload them quickly. I've shot Glocks since 1987 and have had probably 1/4 of the things in the break vs. my experience with M&Ps (since they've been out).

Last I checked LEO pricing on Glocks was $399 and S&W M&P (9s/40s/357s) was $455
    Both come with 3 mags and I think the $455 price on the M&P included night sights.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    It seems like most people are singing the praise of the MP. The place I buy from is a LEO distributor and is supposed to be giving LEO pricing, but I dont think they really are on the MP's. Can somebody point me in the direction of a place that will give true LEO pricing on the MP? I guess I could call SW and ask them.
    any dealer who is a major stocking dealer should have guns available for police sale. it would be up to you to ask for that price however.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    any dealer who is a major stocking dealer should have guns available for police sale. it would be up to you to ask for that price however.
    The dealer I go to is a LEO only dealer(have to show credentials to purchase), so I was assuming that the 519 price was a LEO price, however after reading on here it seems it may or it may not be. The price is supposed to be more like 459. I simply need to go and actually talk to them and see what the deal is.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    GT is listed on S&W's site as an LE distributor. One of only 2 distributors in Texas IIRC. I doubt they would deviate from LE pricing. The M&P with night sights is advertised in store at $519. Mine was only $459 without.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    GT is listed on S&W's site as an LE distributor. One of only 2 distributors in Texas IIRC. I doubt they would deviate from LE pricing. The M&P with night sights is advertised in store at $519. Mine was only $459 without.
    Yea I know they are a LEO distributor and I have bought 5 or 6 guns from them and have been happy with the prices. I am just confused in this thread because a few people are saying 519 with night sites is not what the LEO pricing should be, however I do trust GT's and that they are selling at LEO pricing. I am going up there in like an hour to pickup some stuff and maybe pickup a gun if I can make up my mind and convince myself I really need to spend 500 more dollars on another gun. I also want to look through their used gun case, although their prices on their used guns always seems a little high to me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Lol I didn't know they had a used gun case. I always go to the new stuff. Keep us updated on your personal findings.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast