Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1943 Colt USGI Makeover...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

1943 Colt USGI Makeover...

Nothing quite like an old Colt... they all tell a story, some are shorter than others and some more interesting than others but in any case all of these guns seem to have a bit of a story. I’m sure if this gun could talk it would have a story too and being “born” in 1943 it had the potential to have been lively one. Yet no matter how good, it seems all stories must come to an end but when this gun came across my bench I knew it was time for a new chapter.

Some would say that it’s a sin to build a custom on a base gun like this, especially considering that aside from a few dents and dings it was in excellent shape when the customer sent it to the shop... judging from its pre-build condition it appeared that this gun may not have had an interesting story after all. Were it the last ‘living‘ example of a USGI Colt I may have hesitated for a second before I put the file and Foredom to work but in the end the customer had a vision for what he wanted and this somewhat unique base gun played a major part. Still others would have you believe that a USGI gun of this vintage makes for a ’poor candidate’ or is a horrible base gun altogether. I suppose that can be true depending on the specific gun but like most Colts, whether it be from 1943 or 2003, they all require a little bit extra effort and a bit more work here and there. Truth is that’s the fun part of building on Colts and since this gun seemed like it had yet to get its fill of adventure I was happy to accommodate and hopefully add a bit to its story.

This gun is also a “twin” or more like a sequel to a hard chromed gun I built for the customer back in 2007. The hard chromed gun rides in his duty holster and he thought it would be neat to make this one a back-up of sorts. As is typical with builds from our shop I started with a weld-up frame and slide fit and from there fit up a Kart barrel and EGW barrel bushing. All lines were straightened and the gun was detailed, the front strap and mainspring housing were hand-checkered at 30lpi, the mag-well was beveled, the slide was bordered, and the slide top was flattened and serrated in our curved arrow pattern featuring two points. The slide is topped with our Professional Grade sights with 3-dot tritium inserts and the slide rear is serrated at 50lpi to match the rear sight. An S&A grip safety pivots on an EGW machined thumb safety, the mag-catch is slightly extended and angled back, and best quality internals are used throughout such as a Wilson Bulletproof extractor and ejector, Wilson hammer, and tool steel sear and disconnect. Rounding out the gun is a polished the blue finish and Spegel Cocobolo stocks. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story, enjoy...

Feedback Score
    Jason, that is exceptionally well done, and to my eye, very tasteful. I don't think that there's anything particularly heretical about work like this to give an old gun a renewed purpose and mission viability for its owner. Thanks for sharing-and for the excellent pictures.

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    Why

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
    Why
    I suspect the customer paid a tidy sum for that work, and building beautiful 1911s is what Heirloom Precision is in business for.

Well done Jason.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looks good.

Feedback Score
    Fine work as usual, Jason. Do you have any pictures of its "twin"?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Very nice. It isn't like this was a rare gun and it isn't like the guy used a dremel to install a beavertail and drilled ports in the top.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulinski View Post
    Why

Wondering the same thing...
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    He states why in the first post. Something tells me the owner of this gun could probably find another such base gun to serve as a safe queen.

Feedback Score
    he can I have a usgi colt still parkerized and 2 usgi remington rands, one blued one still parkerized, and I saw 3 colt usgi's today, and that is one sexy 1911, I would not mind having my blued remington rand customed and then have it cerakoted
    Last edited by LockenLoad; 09-17-09 at 17:14.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast