Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 9mm AR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Recoil in 9mm carbines

Out of curiosity, I fired 200 rds through a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. Felt recoil, which is subjective, was surprisingly harsh. I reasoned that in this rifle the blowback mechanism was not balanced properly; however, there was no premature gas escape when the bolt retracted. Actually, this thing kicked hard.

Years ago I fired a variety of sub-guns in .380, 9mm, and .45. In the latter two,
    recoil was mild due to weight and I'm sure other factors as well. In .45, the weapons were a WW2 Ingram(haven't seen one since), a1927 Navy Thompson, and a Reising. The Reising fired from a locked breech and recoil was noticeably mild, despite its light weight.

In one sense the AR 9's are spring guns and function hinges on buffer spring weight. I lack recent experience and have had none with the AR platform in pistol calibers. It seem to me that this idea was an afterthought.

Williejc

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williejc View Post
    Out of curiosity, I fired 200 rds through a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. Felt recoil, which is subjective, was surprisingly harsh. I reasoned that in this rifle the blowback mechanism was not balanced properly; however, there was no premature gas escape when the bolt retracted. Actually, this thing kicked hard.

Years ago I fired a variety of sub-guns in .380, 9mm, and .45. In the latter two,
    recoil was mild due to weight and I'm sure other factors as well. In .45, the weapons were a WW2 Ingram(haven't seen one since), a1927 Navy Thompson, and a Reising. The Reising fired from a locked breech and recoil was noticeably mild, despite its light weight.

In one sense the AR 9's are spring guns and function hinges on buffer spring weight. I lack recent experience and have had none with the AR platform in pistol calibers. It seem to me that this idea was an afterthought.

Williejc

The hi point kicks like it is using a much larger caliber. It is alos a POS (sorry).

C4

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456