Thread: Federal 62 grain FUSION

Feedback Score

Federal 62 grain FUSION

Federal 62 grain FUSION

The Federal 62 grain Fusion bullet appears to have a very similar design to that of the Speer 64 grain Gold Dot. Both are bonded bullets, have the same advertised muzzle velocity and both have the unique Gold Dot boat-tail shape. While this load is being marketed as a "deer" load, it has all the makings of a good barrier-blind load.

It’s difficult to see with the naked eye, but the Fusion bullet has a “skived” tip.

As seen above, the Fusion bullet has a cannelure and the case mouth is crimped. The lot that I evaluated is loaded in Lake City 09 brass cases. The primer pockets are crimped and sealed and the load is charged with “ball” powder.

The advertised velocity for this load is 3000 fps. From a 20" Colt barrel with a NATO chamber, chrome lining and a 1:7” twist, the 62 grain Federal Fusion bonded soft-point had a muzzle velocity of 2877 fps. The claimed ballistic coefficient for this bullet is 0.339.

The accuracy of this load was excellent for a soft-point bullet. A 10-shot group fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15, at a distance of 100 yards, had an extreme spread of almost exactly 1 MOA.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Thx for your informativ post Molon. The federal fusion seems to be an very intersting load.

Feedback Score

Re

Rebated boat-tails are known for helping accuracy, but I've never seen them in such a close-up before or in a soft-point. I would love to see how this performs in FBI ammo tests.

Good work Molon, and thanks for posting this.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Best on-line price found was $18.99 per 20rds.

Feedback Score
    thanks, Molon!

I was gonna get some of those sight-unseen..

Any plans on shooting 'em into water?
    Last edited by Rampant Colt; 09-26-09 at 22:43.
    beware of the bearers of false gifts and their broken promises

buckshot for bad guys
    birdshot for birdies
    repeat