Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun grip "comfort" Is it really important besides how it makes you feel?

Feedback Score

Handgun grip "comfort" Is it really important besides how it makes you feel?

Why is how a gun "feels" in your hand so important to some of you? I've owned and shot my share of various handguns too and there seems to be little to no correlation to how good a handgun feels in my hand to how it actually shoots. Hand fit is important. Being able to reach the trigger comfortably is important. The grip not shifting under recoil is important. But why do you believe a more comfortable feeling grip correlates to better shooting?
    Last edited by Ian111; 09-18-09 at 19:35.

Feedback Score
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, that at the very least, a comfortable grip helps mentally by helping your brain percieve the gun as just an extension of your arm.

Once you have nailed down the physical skills of shooting, or any sport for that matter. Anything that can help your mind get in the zone and "forget" about the fact that you are using a tool is beneficial.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think it is stupid, to be perfectly frank.

A lot of non-gun guys join police and military units and shoot whatever is issued to them and they shoot it a damn sight better than 99.99% of the people wasting their time on the Internet, myself included.

I think the whole "feel" thing is a dodge to explain why someone spent money on a pile of second rate pistols. I think it is second only to the witchcraft behind 1911 magazines.

But, hey, I could be wrong.

M_P

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_pirate View Post
    I think the whole "feel" thing is a dodge to explain why someone spent money on a pile of second rate pistols. I think it is second only to the witchcraft behind 1911 magazines.
    Now that's funny.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Whining in a forum that people have seen your thread, but not replied, reeks of an odd brand of desperation. - Me

Titling your thread "To XYZ or Not to XYZ" will cause me to completely ignore your thread.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
    Why is how a gun "feels" in your hand so important to some of you? I've owned and shot my share of various handguns too and there seems to be little to no correlation to how good a handgun feels in my hand to how it actually shoots. Hand fit is important. Being able to reach the trigger comfortably is important. The grip not shifting under recoil is important. But why do you believe a more comfortable feeling grip correlates to better shooting?
    I dare say for many "feel" is a term used to describe how a particular pistol fits their hand. While it's possible to shoot anything well given enough practice, if a pistol doesn't fit the user it makes it more difficult for them to use it as well as a pistol that does fit.

"Feel" isn't the same thing as fit, but the two often get lumped together.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    in my opinion a comfortable grip is one in which i can reach all the controls easily and control the firearm easily. I guess it just depends how you define comfort. I mean if the thing is hurting your hand with every shot, or after sustained practice that's not going to help you shoot better.
    There does of course come a point where you have to shut up and learn to shoot the damn thing though. hence my use and carry of stock glock pistols good enough, and i've got a lot of time and ammo in on em. so i ain't changing!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Having come to the realization that I shoot a Glock better than a M&P, I don't think it is that important anymore.

Jay

Feedback Score
    I feel that a gun that I find to be comfortable is one that I want to shoot more, I shoot more consistently, and I shoot better. Sure I can pick up a pistol and shoot it proficiently, but a gun that I truly find comfortable such as the M&P I'm in love with I can shoot it all day long consistently as it seems to fall into my hand the same way every time. It's like a glove that just fits. I can fire 300 rounds with my M&P on an extended range session, but after firing maybe 50-100 rounds through a Glock I find that my groupings just are not as consistent due to increased fatigue.

That's my perspective on this. I feel that with sufficient training you should be able to shoot well with most any pistol using basic fundamentals of good shooting. Whether it be a psychological or a physical issue due to the ergonomics of the weapon, I do believe that a gun that just plain "fits" will be the one that an individual may shoot the best and want to continue to enjoy.

Feedback Score
    To me, comfort is being able to smoothly function all of the controls. It is also not having a grip that is way too large or small for my hand. There is almost always a trade off.

You see a lot of beginners putting giant cushy Hogue finger-groove grips on their 1911s (SIGS, Berettas, etc.), and they just don't work. I sometimes wonder if this doesn't carry over to ARs as well. I seem to be one of the few that still use the A2grip on an M4, because even with my large hands I have to strain to deactivate the safety with a Magpul or Ergo grip. Even though the A2 is a little uncomfortable when shooting, it is the most efficient for me when manipulating controls. Now I usually use whatever comes on the gun, and have spent a lot of $$ just to revert back to issue grips on just about every weapon I have owned.

Hope that makes a little sense.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You're definetely on the right track in recognizing there's a crucial difference between "fit" and "feel". The way your finger reaches the trigger, in particular, is a crucial dimension to shooting accurately (one that many new shooters overlook, I myself went through three or four of my first handguns before I started taking this dimension seriously).

Assuming good fit, feel doesn't make a big difference functionwise, but if you're plunking down the money for the gun, you might as well go for something you like that feels comfortable - I mean, why not? If it's reliable, accurate, powerful enough for your purpose, and fits you properly, the only difference feel makes is how happy you are overall with your purchase, and since most of us aren't full (or even part) time commandos, why not go for what brings you the most joy?
    Last edited by ChicagoTex; 09-18-09 at 23:12.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast