Thread: Do the Rem 700 Police/LTR models have detachable mags?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Do the Rem 700 Police/LTR models have detachable mags?

I am looking at a Remington 700 Police model, specifically the LTR (light tactical) model, and am trying to figure out if it has a detachable mag. It's almost unbelievable to me, but Remington's own website about their LE versions of the 700, even in the specs on the police models, does not tell you what kind of magazine options come with the .308 models.

I am interested in learning if....

* The LTR in .308 comes with a detachable mag, and if so...

* Can you get different sizes of the mags, or are they all just the 4rd variety?

Oh, and one other question. Is the mag on the police version reliable enough, or will I probably want to replace it with something like the Badge Ordnance aftermarket mag system?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    "The LTR in .308 comes with a detachable mag, and if so..."

Yes.

"Can you get different sizes of the mags, or are they all just the 4rd variety?"

You can get 10 round mags.
    Police version has served me well.
    Opinions vary.

"Oh, and one other question. Is the mag on the police version reliable enough, or will I probably want to replace it with something like the Badge Ordnance aftermarket mag system?"

Badger Ordanace, Seekins, AICS, CDI, Midway etc. all offer quality mags.
    opinions vary

HTH...
    Last edited by VooDoo6Actual; 09-19-09 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think Remington's detachable mag system is not thought of as very reliable. Also, if you get it after buying the rifle, you will need to scallop the sides of the stock next to the magazine.
    Other systems do not require stock modification but are not cheap. Badger usually goes for 300-400. AI magazines are usually around 50 each.
    While a detachable mag for a bolt rifle sounds cool, you have to ask if this is something you really need and are willing to spend mone on or just think it's hot.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPLOETHOS View Post
    "The LTR in .308 comes with a detachable mag, and if so..."

Yes.

"Can you get different sizes of the mags, or are they all just the 4rd variety?"

You can get 10 round mags.
    Police version has served me well.
    Opinions vary.

"Oh, and one other question. Is the mag on the police version reliable enough, or will I probably want to replace it with something like the Badge Ordnance aftermarket mag system?"

Badger Ordanace, Seekins, AICS, CDI, Midway etc. all offer quality mags.
    opinions vary

HTH...
    Hop, to make sure I understand: You are saying that the various aftermarket mags (Badger, AICS, etc.) will work without modification in the Remington detachable mag system that comes on the Police models?

Feedback Score
    There are couples of DM out there.

The HS DM will just drop right in your LTR stock with out any modification.

Badger M5 -using ACIs mag-is bigger , so you have to re inlet for it.

These comes with 5,10 rounds mag.
    Last edited by matrxx; 09-21-09 at 15:49.

Feedback Score
    I must have been duped or something. I just received a Remington 700 LTR in .308 and there was no mag in the box whatsoever. This was no used weapon either. It was BNIB. It came with this slinky type deal but no box mag. I was wondering the same thing the OP was inquiring about. I just figured I would go with an aftermarket version.

Feedback Score
    The 700P and LTR come with either a BDL fixed magazine and hinged floorplate(most common) or a detachable magazine version(somewhat rare). The factory DM has a reputation for poor reliability. If you plan on replacing it with a aftermarket DM, it's a mute point. You CAN NOT go from the factory DM to a BDL mag and floorplate because the DM version is built using a modified receiver that has the feed lips machined out of the bottom of the receiver.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N2WishN View Post
    I must have been duped or something. I just received a Remington 700 LTR in .308 and there was no mag in the box whatsoever. This was no used weapon either. It was BNIB. It came with this slinky type deal but no box mag. I was wondering the same thing the OP was inquiring about. I just figured I would go with an aftermarket version.

I'm sorry, you meant just stock, barrel , bolt action,trigger , and trigger guard?
    Last edited by matrxx; 09-24-09 at 13:27.