Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonna dive into precision rifle...

Feedback Score

Gonna dive into precision rifle...

I've wanted a precision tactical rifle since I was in high school. I ended up buying an AR first but, im throwing around the idea of saving up some extra money for one, and maybe pickin on up in a year ish. I want to start planning things out, though. I'm goin for gold on this as, i know its something im going to dive into and really enjoy, so id rather just do it right the first time and have exactly what i want then start with something cheaper and spend a bunch of money and time making it right. I made that mistake with my AR...

The main purpose of this rifle is to be a long range sniping tool... deer, hogs, taking classes, punching paper, picking off people targets from exceptionally long ranges if shtf.

I'm going to have GAP build me the rifle, Ill start with their base rifle, and will upgrade the stock to an A5.

I'm going to be picking up some reloading equipment in the near future. so that being said, whats a good cartridge to go with? The ones i got in mind are..

6.5x47 Lapua
    .260 Remington
    .308 Winchester

If you guys got any ideas of something that may be a better choice, have at me. Since ill be reloading, im not really concerned with the availability and selection of factory ammo, I just want the best cartridge for the job.

From my understanding, it seems like 6.5x47 Lapua is the best option... what about 6.5 grendel?

I'm thinking nightforce or US optics for glass.

I'll also be picking up a surefire suppressor and muzzle break... for the 6.5 lapua, would i have to go with a 6.8 suppressor or a 7.62 suppressor?

Thanks in advance, cant wait to hear some input!
    Last edited by Mr.Goodtimes; 08-15-09 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    If you are going to load your own, and use for competition purposes the 6.5x47 is way I would go.

If you ever plan on defending yourself with this the 308 is the only answer here.

Its not a sniper rifle if you cant buy sniper quality ammo from most sportng good stores.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My advice is get what you want the first time. GA Precision has an outstanding reputation. If you want the A5 get a Crusader and be done, you will have a frickin laser. It has all the cool things already done to it. One piece bolt, side bolt release, badger everything.

Take a class and have a great time.
    Colt AR-15/M-16 Armorer, GLock Armorer, HK USP Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    looks like .308 is the way to go... will the 6.5 be a better performer, though, at longer range?

what kind of range could i expect out of a 6.5x47 Lapua and out of a .308?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    looks like .308 is the way to go... will the 6.5 be a better performer, though, at longer range?

what kind of range could i expect out of a 6.5x47 Lapua and out of a .308?
    The 6.5x47 will retain its energy for a longer distance than the .308

I use this Ballistic Calc to compare different cartridges
    http://www.jbmballistics.com/~jbm/cg...bmtraj-5.0.cgi

.308 is usually considered a 800 meter performer
    the 6.5x47 Would do fine 1000+ meters

6.5X47 Brass is only made by Lapua so getting a ready supply of brass might prove to be aggravating.
    And expensive http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...ber=1270680004
    Last edited by Thomas M-4; 08-15-09 at 23:23.

Feedback Score

question of caliber?

I've got a TRG in .308, and a SAKO Varmint in .260. The .308 is easier to get components for, but the .260 is a much better performer. To tell the truth, reloading components are not a big deal to get for the .260......I wish my TRG was chambered for it!

I much prefer the .260 for long range hunting.
    Often Imitated-NEVER Duplicated
    Wilson Combat Online Representative
    m4carbine.net SITE SPONSOR
    www.wilsoncombat.com
    info@wilsoncombat.com
    (800) 955-4856

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Like wilsoncombatrep said, reloading components are easier to get for the 308 but you can make 260 brass from 308 brass.

I have a LR-308 but am looking at building a 260 upper for it in the future because of the longer range.

For bolt action, I prefer Remington but there are a lot of good choices on the market.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score

Brass

Brass for the .260......you have Remington, Nosler, and Norma. I've had fair luck with Remington, and GREAT luck with Nosler. Pricey, but well worth it.
    Often Imitated-NEVER Duplicated
    Wilson Combat Online Representative
    m4carbine.net SITE SPONSOR
    www.wilsoncombat.com
    info@wilsoncombat.com
    (800) 955-4856

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jackinfl View Post
    My advice is get what you want the first time. GA Precision has an outstanding reputation. If you want the A5 get a Crusader and be done, you will have a frickin laser. It has all the cool things already done to it. One piece bolt, side bolt release, badger everything.
    Im glad Im not the only one in this boat. I think I want something along the lines of maybe the GA Precision "Rock"? The "Crusader" looks epic, but Im worried that might be like jumping into water thats too deep and not being a good enough swimmer. I saw they have an AR on the GAP site. Does anyone know how any of these perform? Getting an AR sounds fun, but I think I want something more precise. I don't think I want something to run around with; just something to set up and shoot. This would be the first rifle I would actually own myself and when I finally go for it, I want it to be the perfect one for me. Im still very much in the infancy stage of researching these so any advice would be welcome.

Oh yeah, and I live in California (for now) so that puts some interesting limits on this whole venture. Im moving as soon as I find a more "pro-America" state that I like.

Feedback Score
    I would look at the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor Match. I am running one built on a Surgeon SA and Bartlein barrel. Most of us all started on the .308win but I have to say its days are numbered as far as getting into the winners circle.

Ballistically the Hornady 6.5CM is close enough to the 260Rem and 6.5x47 that to me it's not worth arguing over. It is however, way better than the .308Win...way better.

This is the best part...it's the cheepest to shoot as well. As of last check...Midway was selling...

Hornady 6.5CM for $24 a box
    CorBon 260Rem for $31 a box
    Federal GMM .308win $37 a box
    6.5x47 Lapua for $57 a box

To me it's a no brainer...you can reload for all of these cartridges...some I would even say you have to.

Call GAP...they have the 6.5CM reamer. I went down to Texas for a rifle match and used the data off the Hornady box to make my data cards and it was dead on...I would have been happy with close...but it literally was dead on.

$1200 for 1000 rounds of loaded match ammo in Hornady 6.5CM

$1550 for 1000 rounds of Corbon 260

$1850 for 1000 rounds of Federal GMM .308....(this is insane)

$2850 for 1000 rounds of 6.5x47 Lapua

you could get 460 more rounds of Hornady verse Federal for the $1850...thats no small difference especially since the 308 cant come close to the 6.5CM

Pick what you will...any of the 6.5 cals mentioned are proven to be accurate...your logistics and finances can help you decide. Just please...please...don't build a long range rifle chambered in .308win...

Be safe, shoot well

KJ
    Last edited by KJDrake; 09-01-09 at 22:52.
    Team Blaster Shooter
    Team Hornady Shooter
    http://www.teamblaster.net/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast