Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitride Treated Barrels?

Feedback Score

Nitride Treated Barrels?

Ok I have seen Nitrided Bolts and Bolt carriers before but never barrels. In this application does any know how well it is actually holding up? Interesting alternative to Chrome lining.

IPSC_GUY
    SIERRA II ALPHA

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    IIRC LWRC is doing them!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IPSC_GUY View Post
    Ok I have seen Nitrided Bolts and Bolt carriers before but never barrels. In this application does any know how well it is actually holding up? Interesting alternative to Chrome lining.

IPSC_GUY
    SIERRA II ALPHA
    It outlasts hard chrome. The neat thing (well, there are several) is that the process is a surface conversion "coating" meaning that there is no geometry changes. And, no, it's not a coating, technically. It's ferritic nitrocarburiation by name. LWRC uses the process, as stated as well as Glock, HK and at least one Euro bolt gun manufacturer. I suspect that MANY Euro gun manufacturers utilize ferritic nitrocarburiation processes. If you're interested contact Rock Creek Barrels.

Mechanical Properties are better than hard chrome for both salt bath and wear resistance, too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i'm starting to think i made the correct move by getting one of $275 DSA ZM-4 uppers. i actually bought it for a cheap "truck gun", in case of theft, as i had all other parts required for a complete rifle just sitting on shelfs. this might work out, even a blind sow finds an acorn, everyonce in a while

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VLODPG View Post
    IIRC LWRC is doing them!
    A good hint that it's a snake oil scam.

I haven't seen them lying about this yet on the Mil Channel yet? Is there a lag before their lies air on Futard Weapons?

I can't imagine why LWRC would need to do this since according to the goofball rep on Futard Weapons their barrels already last TWICE as everyone else's barrels.
    Last edited by markm; 09-20-09 at 19:41.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    A good hint that it's a snake oil scam.

I haven't seen them lying about this yet on the Mil Channel yet? Is there a lag before their lies air on Futard Weapons?

I can't imagine why LWRC would need to do this since according to the goofball rep on Futard Weapons their barrels already last TWICE as everyone else's barrels.
    Markim,

In your opinion there is no benefit over chrome lining? I can't answer this from personal experience but from things I have read on the Internet, it appeared promising.

Again, it's just what I read & now hope the 6.8 barrel that I just purchased with this treatment lives up to the hype!

Feedback Score
    Nitride is a not a coating, but a metal treatment which increases surface hardness, corrosion resistance, with no degraded accuracy like chrome lining.

You take even a stainless barrel, nitride it, and you end up with a barrel with will last 20k rounds without breaking a sweat and hold it's accuracy
    Last edited by variablebinary; 09-20-09 at 20:08.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Feedback Score
    The Sig 550 is supposed to have a nitride treated barrel it has been done in Europe for years.

I don't care for LWRC but nitride treated barrels and hammer forged barrels all are supposed to extend usable barrel life. I have not seen any documentation that the nitride treatment will out last chrome lining.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas M-4 View Post
    The Sig 550 is supposed to have a nitride treated barrel it has been done in Europe for years.

I don't care for LWRC but nitride treated barrels and hammer forged barrels all are supposed to extend usable barrel life. I have not seen any documentation that the nitride treatment will out last chrome lining.
    Chrome lining wears in, what, 5000 rounds is the consensus. Nitride increases surface hardness quite a bit, which means it wont wear as fast as chrome

I'd be willing to wager a 4140 RRA/Wilson barrel can hold its own in terms of barrel life and accuracy against a chrome lined CHF barrel
    Last edited by variablebinary; 09-20-09 at 20:53.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast