Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nitride Treated Barrels?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCLeonard View Post
    So is Ferritic Nitrocarburizing the same process as Tenifer and Melonite?

Also, these are just surface treatments and do not impart any black color to metal surfaces correct?
    They are all very similar processes.

The color may be very dark but it's not an aesthetic "coating" or process. Glock, like H&K and S&W still coat the surface - probably because people demand a "black" firearm.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    Is this process pretty easy to "get right," or does it require some level of expertise/experience?

Can it be done incorrectly or insufficiently?

In other words, is any "nitride" treatment likely as good as any other?
    Like all processes it's "in the process", so, yes, one can screw it up.

Feedback Score
    Per DSArms site the uppers are made 7075T6
    link http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged...info/DSZM4CBU/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pat701 View Post
    Per DSArms site the uppers are made 7075T6
    link http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged...info/DSZM4CBU/
    That is the receiver not the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I found that I DO have an account with Science Direct/Elsevier so I do have some articles related to nitrocarburization and W DLC to share with anyone who is interested.
    I am a metallurgy student and would enjoy seeing the article.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    i bought the upper with the understanding that the barrel is 4140,, which is plenty good enough for a low-round count, keep in your truck gun. i have a low-round count 4140 S&W 15A in my truck now. i think DSA said they were coming out with 4150 in a few months, for more $$$,, this one suits me needs, and the price is certainly right, as they said the 4150 upper will be more.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggt1_02 View Post
    That is the receiver not the barrel.

I am a metallurgy student and would enjoy seeing the article.
    PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you several.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I found that I DO have an account with Science Direct/Elsevier so I do have some articles related to nitrocarburization and W DLC to share with anyone who is interested.
    I would also be interested.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some comments about nitride/melonite/whatchamacallit for AR barrels -

You can't do the barrel before the extension is attached and gas port drilled. The extreme heat during the process ends up causing the extension to come loose. So the gas port is, to my knowledge, drilled after the finish process, and is therefore bare metal.

Also, this is unscientific, but I've caused rust on Melonited/Tenifer'd slides, but not hard chrome. I would extrapolate from this that hard chrome has better corrosion resistance. Again, unscientific.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 87GN View Post
    Some comments about nitride/melonite/whatchamacallit for AR barrels -

You can't do the barrel before the extension is attached and gas port drilled. The extreme heat during the process ends up causing the extension to come loose. So the gas port is, to my knowledge, drilled after the finish process, and is therefore bare metal.

Also, this is unscientific, but I've caused rust on Melonited/Tenifer'd slides, but not hard chrome. I would extrapolate from this that hard chrome has better corrosion resistance. Again, unscientific.
    I would *think* the barrel will be tapped for the gas port prior to treatment as the meloniting would assist a bit with wear. If the vendors are not doing this I'd surely like to know why not.

I believe you're correct about the extensions.

As far as corrosion is concerned it will depend on many things: the melonite process (temp, duration, schedule,...); the depth of case hardening vs. the same with hard chrome - particularly how thick the hard chrome layer would be. I've seen S&W M&Ps and Glocks with surface rust, too.

Feedback Score
    My interest is peaked.........

I just read some articles about a 600 yard benchrester named Joel Kendrick that has been doing a good deal of experimenting with salt bath nitride. Found this link:

http://mminitriding.com/nitriding.htm

So here's a question, what type of test cases would be a good way to prove this out some more? Suggestions?

I'm not sure this could compete with a chrome-lined, CMV barrel. Where I see the real potential is in applications currently filled by stainless barrels.

I have to admit it would be a very tempting idea to be able to offer a CM barrel that offers better corrosion resistance than typical 416 or 410. But my real concern is throat life. One of the main benefits of some of the 416SS alternatives is increased accuracy life, being that this class of stainless still rusts. So either way coatings are necessary. I wonder how much of an increase in life could be expected through the use of salt bath nitriding when compared to some of the harder stainless barrels that are available.

(edited to complete the question)
    Last edited by Kevin_J; 11-05-09 at 12:45.
    Kevin Johnson
    Johnson Tactical Rifles, LLC
    Pittsburgh, Pa

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast