Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me why I should have a 6.8mm AR

Feedback Score
    I admit this board makes me curious about the 6.8mmm SPC. Who makes the best rifle is a question that has been on my mind.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score
    If you're serious sign up at 68forums.com. They have a "Chart" similar to Rob's. Needless to say, Noveske makes good stuff, and if you don't mind a lesser known company, ar15performance is probably the best deal going for excellent quality.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    Once you try a 6.8, you'll wonder why you waited so long. If you do decide to buy, make sure you get the SPCII chamber that most manufacturers are now offering and a rifling twist no faster than 1:11 - it'll stabilize any bullet you can load in a 6.8 case and still fit an AR15 mag. Contrary to 5.56, faster is not better when it comes to 6.8 barrel twist.

Oh, to answer your initial question, you can legally hunt deer with the 6.8 in every state with a rifle season, which is not true for 5.56.

S&B and HSM are two additional manufacturers of 6.8x43.

Feedback Score

Double Tap

Add Double Tap Ammo to your list of 6.8 ammo makers. I just got 4 boxes in for testing.
    Often Imitated-NEVER Duplicated
    Wilson Combat Online Representative
    m4carbine.net SITE SPONSOR
    www.wilsoncombat.com
    info@wilsoncombat.com
    (800) 955-4856

Feedback Score
    Good post Cold...
    Good point F2S...

good point everyone...

This is kinda one of those "boxers or briefs" questions...
    In the end it is going to be up to you alone based on your perception and purpose.
    Some fair well with thier 5.56s', some love thier .308s', 7.62x39 has been killing people with conviction for decades... lets not forget the 5.45 which does the duyt for some as well.

So rather than us sell you something without knowing what and why... Let us know you intentions so we can better answer your question..
    There is no point in typing an essay about all the merits of the 6.8 only to find out that its going to be a safe queen or a plinking rig.

Make sense?

Just so my position is clear. My first AR15 rig is a 6.8x43. So is my second. My third is going to be a 5.56/22lr combo for training purposes.
    At first, I made an attempt to get into a 6.5grendel rig but found myself banging my head on the wall. The "elitist" stigma was evident from the start. I found it very difficult as an FNG to get any sort of help or guidance so that mission was aborted. I had been trying to decide between the 6.5g and the 6.8spc... the brick wall I ran into on the grendel site and trying to obtain applicable parts made it real easy to click the 68forums link in someones sig and there I was.
    I felt at home from the start.
    I got squared away on the do's and dont's real quick and there were many people on board to lend a hand in whatever I needed.

I had DSA FAL as my primary rig. It had a saw stock and grip with a quad rail handguard... Although I loved it... it became evident that it was impractical for me.
    There are many reasons why, which I am sure anyone who has gone from a big rig like that to an AR15 knows very well...
    There is no love lost there since the 6.8 rig came to life... It does all I need it to do and is more than I expected it to be.

Here is my 6.8 rig in its old configuration after some Krylon ultra flat olive drab paint.

Last edited by BLACK LION; 09-23-09 at 14:35.
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACK LION View Post
    This is kinda one of those "boxers or briefs" questions...
    In the end it is going to be up to you alone based on your perception and purpose.
    I would say my perception of/for purpose would be duty level. Even if all the rifle ever does is run through courses and the gun range with some hunting thrown in . . . I want the durability of a service weapon. I been burned enough with lower quality firearms in my life, which is why I posed the question.
    Member of the JPFO, NRA, and TSRA!

Feedback Score
    If you stick with a quality manufacturer using correct specs (DMR or SCP2 chamber with 1:11 to 12 twist), I doubt you'll be disappointed. The only duty use I can imagine in which the 5.56 would be superior is in reducing over penetration. However, I've read a little about pretty speedy 85 grain 6.8spc bullets which may narrow that gap.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiservontexas View Post
    I would say my perception of/for purpose would be duty level. Even if all the rifle ever does is run through courses and the gun range with some hunting thrown in . . . I want the durability of a service weapon. I been burned enough with lower quality firearms in my life, which is why I posed the question.

I understand completely...

I went through my build the same way.
    I fed off other peoples bad news and based my decision accordingly.
    I quickly found out what not to get. Although I am still trying to figure out whats best for me.
    I may never use it or abuse it to its full potential... but I would like to be damn sure it will serve well as a "duty" or "service" rig.
    I may not need a warhorse but I have to have one anyway.

The best upper??? Well... different people have different views of what it takes to be considered the best.
    I was originally stuck on LMT becuase of the feedback and reviews.
    To me there is production/ factory grade and custom grade ....
    Whats the best production upper...I dont have any way to tell...I would base my decision on willingness to adapt the most optimal specs and change accordingly... also customer service, quality control and warranty(says allot when they guarantee it for life)... Stags are good and they recently changed thier specs.
    Lmt would make the cut but they are dragging thier feet. Armalite just woke up...

I am trying my best not to sound like a one sided prick so please excuse me for the ramble.
    I looked into all the production rigs and followed who was closest to mil-spec and offered a lifetime warranty.
    LMT and Stag were my first choices but I couldnt get one. I then looked at other offerings from cmmg, jt distributing, M1sales etc . What I found is that none of them really focused on the caliber itself and what made it such a viable option...it seems they were just trying to fill a niche and put something out to appease a certain group.

Enter the custom side of things... when I say custom...I dont mean someone that just assembles 6.8 uppers...I mean someone that shoots the caliber, hunts with the caliber, reloads the caliber and generally knows it like the back of his hand...
    Originally there were not many...maybe a couple... Now there is a few and growing...
    The top tier for me was either Harrison at ar15performance... or TimW at Titan Armory....
    I do not have one of Harrisons rigs but it doesnt take rocket science to figure out he knows his shyt...through and through.
    TimW will always have a place at my AR table...he has helped me out so much with my 6.8 its rediculous... talk about going above and beyond.

I wont get into any more details as I am sure I already wore out my welcome here...

I mentioned Harrison and Tim becuase there is nothing like having an expert that is borderline genius who is so freely end selflessly willing to spread thier wisdom and lend a hand ot those in need...

I guess finding out whats best is a personal journey that only you can take...
    Last edited by BLACK LION; 09-24-09 at 19:05.
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    only you can answer the question as to where you should have one or not...
    mine's setup mainly for hog hunting but also gets used for deer

I have killed both with a 223 but have much more confidence with the 6.8
    it's just a fun gun
    think of it as a 270 short in a light, accurate semi auto

whether or not you have a "need" for one is something only you can answer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ccoker View Post
    only you can answer the question as to where you should have one or not...
    mine's setup mainly for hog hunting but also gets used for deer

I have killed both with a 223 but have much more confidence with the 6.8
    it's just a fun gun
    think of it as a 270 short in a light, accurate semi auto

whether or not you have a "need" for one is something only you can answer
    Good post...

If you want a light, accurate, deadly, hard hitting AR15 that can deliver similar ballistics to a .308 within 300 yds with a barrel length as short as 12".... IMHO a 6.8 is a damn fine choice...
    Likewise... according to DOCGKR some of our elite have had success on steel out to 800yds with the 6.8(someone please come kick me if I am misinfrmed, but I remember this specifically)

I mean its just an upper... I can find use for a 5.56 as well as a .50(I have both)...thats the beauty of the AR15 platform... it doesnt have to be all about one caliber...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast