Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is my department issuing .223 "hunting" rounds???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    I had not considered Hornady TAP 75gr, mostly because I have no experience with it, and I didn't see any intermediate barrier performance reports in any of Dr. Roberts posts. I am certainly not opposed to Hornady TAP. I know it is a very popular LE round. Maybe I should read up on this round. Any idea of what is sells for per case to an individual officer? My LE distributer does not carry Hornady ammo.

Thanks for your recommendation Iraqgunz.
    I will send you the email address via PM of the lady at Hornady that has been helping find me a distributor since their individual sales program isnt running.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by firecop019 View Post
    Our department rifles have the same core lokt ammo. Chief is convinced that it's the best their is. Those that bought their own rifles have went with Hornady 75gr duty rounds.

We've had to pick our battles, hopefully the next qualification we'll get those shot up and convince him to go with something different. Go get the latest stopping power book, it has a really good write up on .223 duty rounds. Or Doc might have some info for you if you need help getting it by the brass.
    What's crazy is the Power-Lokt is THREE TIMES as expensive as the Federal Tactical Bonded and Speer LE Gold Dot!!! I don't understand why the department is going with this round. I plan on meeting with our range master this week and to discuss this issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    I had not considered Hornady TAP 75gr, mostly because I have no experience with it, and I didn't see any intermediate barrier performance reports in any of Dr. Roberts posts. I am certainly not opposed to Hornady TAP. I know it is a very popular LE round. Maybe I should read up on this round.
    If you CAREFULLY re-read DocGKR's sticky you'll note that he says that while he has carried 75 gr TAP for urban situations, he also carries 62 gr TRU Bonded (LE223T3) for situations with intermediate barriers (eg: auto glass).

There have been some issues with Hornady 75 gr TAP and intermediate barriers that are, to my knowledge, still in question. If you want a truly all-around urban rifle round that will handle intermediate barriers and do a good job in the open as well you're probably not going to find anything better than the TRU 62 gr bonded or Black Hills (Nosler Partition) 64 gr.
    Last edited by DrJSW; 09-23-09 at 22:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJSW View Post
    If you want a truly all-around urban rifle round that will handle intermediate barriers and do a good job in the open as well you're probably not going to find anything better than the TRU 62 gr bonded or Black Hills (Nosler Partition) 64 gr.
    Outstanding load. A great companion load for barriers to their standard 60gr JSP, and shoots to approximately the same POI. Last I knew, it was a 60gr though. Recommended.

Feedback Score
    My typo. Yes, it's a 60-gr bullet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12