Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700P LTR

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Remington 700P LTR

Allright, I think I want to take the plunge and get a precision rifle. I first off dont have the money for a custom built gun. I am leaning to the Remington 700P LTR due to the size and portability vs the 700P. My questions are as follows:

do any of you have experience with the LTR, do you reccomend it?

What caliber? I am leaning toward 308 but wondered if anyone had used the 300 Remington SA Ultramag?

Thanks
    JP

Feedback Score
    I used one in 308 with a 3.5x10 M3 Leupold on it. Nice "no thrills" rifle.
    I had no problem keeping my hits in a 4" target at 600 yards... The groups opened up quite a bit past that, but I am probably as much to blame as the "short" barrel...
    That rifle bagged its share of antelopes over the years.
    Last edited by Littlebear; 08-22-09 at 05:43.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
    I used one in 308 with a 3.5x10 M3 Leupold on it. Nice "no thrills" rifle.
    I had no problem keeping my hits in a 4" target at 600 yards... The groups opened up quite a bit past that, but I am probably as much to blame as the "short" barrel...
    That rifle bagged its share of antelopes over the years.
    Yeah thats kind of what I was looking for a 500-600 yard capable rifle that I can shoot with maybe take a class or two, something I can reload for etc. I was thinking the LTR a leupold MK4 LR/T M3 (mil Dot) for the scope and a plain harris bipod and that's it. Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I considered the LTR, but found a better deal with the SPS-Tactical in .308. I have it mated with a Leupold scope mounted on a Seekins rail and a Harris bipod mounted on the frontmost swivel point. It's a tackdriver out to 300 yards, and I've kept rounds within 4" out to 600 yards.
    Last edited by citizensoldier16; 08-22-09 at 13:21.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
    Feedback Score
    They are a great choice JP, I've had a pair of 'em since '00, a .308, and a .223. They are set up identically, Leupold 3.5-10 Vari-X III's over 20moa bases. They are both honest, reliable, everyday, 3/4 minute rifles w/ factory Match. On a good day, when the moon, stars and sun align and I dope the wind and control the trigger, they'll shoot better than that.

Best thing...They are just plain downright handy, as compared to the older 24" and current 26" PSS rifles. Besides I like the slimmer LTR stock over the "bloated", to my hand anyway, PSS stock.

A thought though re: the LR/T w/ M3 turrets on a 20" gun w/ factory Match. Keep in mind BDCs are calibrated for specific factory loads out of longer barrels that produce greater velocity. Won't make much difference up close but as you start getting out there the difference can be pronounced. Depending upon conditions, about a minute to a minute and a half at your stated 600 yard limit...That's a 6+ to 9+ inch difference between POA and POI when you dial-in range and hold what you would expect to be POA/POI. BTW, its about three and a half minutes, or 35 inches at 1000 yards, and yes, you'll eventually want to give 1K a shot...so to speak .

You might want to consider contacting Leupold Custom Shop for a custom BDC turret to more closely reflect velocity of your chosen load from the 20" barrel, or run M1 turrets instead, depending upon your intended purposes.

A final thought, you might want look into the TMR (Tactical Milling Reticle) vs. the conventional Mil-Dot. It seems to be easier to learn well quickly and serves the same purpose without having to learn to judge dots down to 10ths.

Enjoy putting it together...
    Last edited by submoa; 08-22-09 at 22:02. Reason: add "to"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've been issued a PSS since the early 1990s, and a couple of years ago I bought an LTR. The LTR shoots as well as the PSS but is a lot handier to move around with. Were we to be trading in the PSS's that we have, I'd recommend replacing them with LTRs. I put a 3.5x10 Leupold in Leupold Mk4 base and rings.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I can say this-the LTR/M3, use a pack and you have a sound shooter-it'll do what you want it to do and wouldn't make a bad hunting stick.

If you want it to double duty, that's what I would get.

I have the Seekins base and rings on mine, they are nice and slick.

If all you want it a log to plop on the ground or bench, then go heavier.
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 08-22-09 at 17:03.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jp0319 View Post
    I was thinking the LTR a leupold MK4 LR/T M3 (mil Dot) for the scope and a plain harris bipod and that's it. Thanks for the info.
    IIRC that is the scope I also had on mine; the optics were not that outstanding and I wished latter on I had gone with an IOR (superb glass)...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I picked up an LTR about 3 years ago, it's bedded, Badger bolt knob, trigger tuned, EGW one piece base, Burris XTR rings, Sightron SIII 3.5-10x mil dot scope.

I really don't know how I'd improve it, I absolutely love this rifle. So much that I bought a .223 LTR. The .223 isn't as "tricked out" but it shoots just as well.

Feedback Score
    I have a LTR with Badger 20moa base, TPS low rings and a IOR 3-18-42 scope. Get to use it on a Elk hunt this year.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast