Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Build

Feedback Score

6.5 Build

Ok. Who's done it, who's going to do it (I am)?

What did you use? How did it go? How do you like it now? Performance specs/loads?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I did using Alexander Arms (AA) parts almost exclusively:

AA Upper
    AA 16" SS BBL & bolt
    AA sourced auto carrier. Not sure who made this, but gas key was properly staked
    JP Rifle’s adjustable gas block
    VTAC rifle length FF rail
    AA/WCI muzzle brake
    AA mags
    AA lower
    RRA LPK with Springfield modded trigger and hammer + springs
    ACE ARFX Skeleton stock

It took approximately six months to get the parts from AA. I had mags on backorder from AA for eight months, but found mags from Umlaut who had them on their shelf ($15 to ship one mag!). Same issue with ammo (I don't reload) which I acquired from Midway.

I couldn't get the damn thing to cycle correctly manually using new Lapua brass. Barrel had lots of burs from machine work which I was able to fix. Still had FTE and stovepipes and I was pretty sure it was an issue with the extractor or ejector. Bolt went back got another. Same issue. Rinse and repeat finally got it to work okay. Not great, but okay. I think the bolt AA is selling still needs refinement.

Mags are finicky too- C-Products are abysmal failures.

Several others on the 6.5 G forum are experiencing similar problems with the 6.5 Gs, but no one on that board seems to think it is a systematic problem. Perhaps it is not, but I and several others weren't very happy. My experience with AA customer service was not exactly great either.

LW barrels and bolts appear to be okay, but only a few folk have these. I can send you a link if you like.

Note that carbine buffers need to be H3 to cycle properly (once you get a good bolt and mags, of course). Rifle buffer is GTG.

Great round, but poor execution re: AA bolt, mags and poor supply chain logistics.

Thus, I never reached the point where I could evaluate performance. I sold the bolt, barrel, mags and changed the rifle to a 6.8. Problem(s) solved.

Feedback Score
    Following the order of your questions:

I have assembled an AR-15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel.

The upper is a Sun Devil with a JP/VTAC rifle length hand guard.

The barrel is an 18" Satern with intermediate length gas system. I selected the VLTOR stainless clamp low profile gas block, because I prefer similar metals for friction functions.

The assembly and initial function firings were successful, and uneventful. Amongst my C-Products magazines, there is only one which has proven problematic. I have not sent it to C-Products or Alexander Arms, as I intend to tinker with it.

This assembly is very much a recce build, and I respect the 6.5G in this role. I would most likely be equally happy with a 6.8 or 6mmAR; in early 2006 I needed to choose one cartridge for this build.

All rounds down range thus far have been 123 gr Lapua Scenars from Alexander Arms. I have Wolf ammo on hand, and I will most likely consume that in the coming months. I do not have any pet loads yet, but there are bullets from Lapua, Nosler, Barnes, and GS Custom which I am quite interested in. Also, I would like to experiment with some inexpensive cast bullets.

Hand-loading is highly beneficial to the 6.5 Grendel user.
    Last edited by Matt in AZ; 09-24-09 at 21:43.
    In keeping with Forum Rule #5, I am an engineer in the employment of General Dynamics.

I am not the Matt in AZ who posts at ar15.com.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Matt,

What bolt are you using?

Also concur on similar materials for GB and BBL. Mine was JP's SS model on a SS BBL.

Gene

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gfelber View Post

What bolt are you using?
    I am using the Alexander Arms bolt which was supplied with the Satern barrel. The material, geometry, process and QA are solid.
    In keeping with Forum Rule #5, I am an engineer in the employment of General Dynamics.

I am not the Matt in AZ who posts at ar15.com.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well, I'm glad your experience differs from mine. Perhaps I purchased mine during the wrong time, i.e., during the "panic", thus slipping through their solid QA process. Twice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gfelber View Post
    I did using Alexander Arms (AA) parts almost exclusively:

AA Upper
    AA 16" SS BBL & bolt
    AA sourced auto carrier. Not sure who made this, but gas key was properly staked
    JP Rifle’s adjustable gas block
    VTAC rifle length FF rail
    AA/WCI muzzle brake
    AA mags
    AA lower
    RRA LPK with Springfield modded trigger and hammer + springs
    ACE ARFX Skeleton stock

It took approximately six months to get the parts from AA. I had mags on backorder from AA for eight months, but found mags from Umlaut who had them on their shelf ($15 to ship one mag!). Same issue with ammo (I don't reload) which I acquired from Midway.

I couldn't get the damn thing to cycle correctly manually using new Lapua brass. Barrel had lots of burs from machine work which I was able to fix. Still had FTE and stovepipes and I was pretty sure it was an issue with the extractor or ejector. Bolt went back got another. Same issue. Rinse and repeat finally got it to work okay. Not great, but okay. I think the bolt AA is selling still needs refinement.

Mags are finicky too- C-Products are abysmal failures.

Several others on the 6.5 G forum are experiencing similar problems with the 6.5 Gs, but no one on that board seems to think it is a systematic problem. Perhaps it is not, but I and several others weren't very happy. My experience with AA customer service was not exactly great either.

LW barrels and bolts appear to be okay, but only a few folk have these. I can send you a link if you like.

Note that carbine buffers need to be H3 to cycle properly (once you get a good bolt and mags, of course). Rifle buffer is GTG.

Great round, but poor execution re: AA bolt, mags and poor supply chain logistics.

Thus, I never reached the point where I could evaluate performance. I sold the bolt, barrel, mags and changed the rifle to a 6.8. Problem(s) solved.
    Such bitter sweet music to my ears...

Although my reasons for abandoning my grendel project were not as involved as yours(never purhcased anything)...I listened to those who were in similar shoes as yours and becuase the "crowd" acted like nothing was wrong and it was still the best thing since butter, it was obvious I wasnt going to get anywhere...
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    I initially had some problems with mine, basically stovepiping and jamming. Got that corrected, the extractor had a couple of burrs where it gripped cartridge rim.

I ordere my Overwatch upper from AA in Jan, received it in May so fairly quick there and got the Shilen barrel option. I first mounted it on a Colt lower and just this weekend finished a Rock RIver lower for it.

I have picked up several of the P Mag magazines, and have some more on order, so the should be from several different batches. I honestly cannot say that I have had any magazine related problems.

Feedback Score
    PMags for a Grendel? Do you mean CProducs?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tolson68 View Post
    PMags for a Grendel? Do you mean CProducs?

Yes, I was having a senior moment!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast