Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5 Build

Feedback Score
    I've assembled a couple 6.5 Grendel rifles for guys and one for myself. It was just something I wanted to tinker with so I used alot of components I had laying around my workshop. My set up is as follows.

Upper Assembly:
    Hi rider extended flat top receiver
    22" custom SS Shilen barrel Threaded w/ thread protector
    Vltor low rise gas block
    Hogue Free Float tube Drilled and tapped to except 1" rail on bottom
    PRI Gas Buster Charging handle
    Badger Ordnance Tac. Latch
    AA Bolt
    Bolt Carrier Group supplied by AA
    Titanium Firing pin
    Harris Bipod

Lower Assembly:
    Roggio Arsenal Lower Reciever
    Bushmaster Internals
    Spikes ST-T2 heavy buffer
    Bushmaster Anti-walk Pins
    Bushmaster Buffer Tube
    Magpul PRS stock
    Magpul Precision Rail Monopod
    Magpul Trigger guard
    Magpul MIAD grip

Optics:
    Leupold QRW rings
    Leupold VX3 4-14X40mm
    Leupold 6" Shade

Ammuntion:
    Hand loaded 120grn Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet, Lapua brass, CCI#450 Primers, 31.6grns Hodgdon BL-(C)2 powder

This setup isn't as fancy as alot of others I've assembled, but it's somthing I tossed together just to give the 6.5 Grendel a try.

When I first assembled it, I used the AA magizines and was having feeding issues. Every other round seemed like it didn't want to load properly. I worked through the issue for about 30 rounds and then was fed up. So I packed it up and headed home. I got to tinkering with the magazines and wasn't all to impressed with the (what seemed to me to be) standard AR magizines that have had the lips spread slightly and a slightly modified follower. I know of three people personally and I've read were guys use standard 5.56 magazines with no issues, so I grabbed a couple of the Pmags I had laying around and shaved the front down 1mm and trimmed a little from the front edge of the lips. I shot these magazines the next day and didn't have any problems feeding.

With the lapua brass I use, every now and then I have an issue with it not extracting properly, I couldn't tell you if this is due to the bolt or from the edges rounding due to cleaning and tumbling. This only happens every now and then so it isn't something I've taken the time to research.

I've shot a couple boxes of the WOLF brand 110 grn FMJ that is becoming more readily availible, and I was not impressed with it. The brass is nice for reloading, maybe a good "plinking" round. I personally found it to be an inconsistent and dirty round. If you have the capacity to hand load your own rounds, the weapon system sems to prefer that IMHO.

I can Honestly say that the only issue I've had with this weapon is the problem with the magazines and the occational extraction issue. I don't know that I'm so impressed with it that I'd build myself another setup, but the guys here locally that shoot them love them and I enjoy mine. I can post some pictures of this setup tomorrow for you if you'd like.
    Last edited by Happypupy; 10-02-09 at 09:11.
    The difference between a revolutionary and a dictator, is a matter of timing.
    والسلام عليكم

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12