Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emerson knives...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've been carrying emerson's since 2005. My first emerson was a Karambit and now I'm carrying a CQC 16. I think my next emerson is going to be a CQC 11. If only I could find a Kandahar for sale and at a reasonable price...Mat10x get a plain edge. If you need serrations get a Leatherman. CQC 15 is nice, I had one but lost it...
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    Emerson CQC-13 Bowie here. The big ****er. best pocket knife I've ever had and a hard worker too. Nothing phases it.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a half-dozen Emersons, and have been carrying them for about a decade.

Personally, I carry a Mini-CQC7A with a wave as my EDC. I do not have a problem with it opening in my trousers. It is a bit harder on a pair of Dockers - the pockets wear out faster.

I think the Commander is a bit large for EDC if you work in most office-type environments. I have one that is a safe queen for that reason.

Feedback Score
    If you're looking for something around 3.5", I highly recommend the Horseman (aka Mini CQC-8) for everyday use. If you want somethinga little larger, the CQC-8 is great too. I carry both, and they each are great all-arounders.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have carried a SOFCK daily for about two years now. It keeps a good edge and it is a quality knife. Highly recommended.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I love my Emersons; I have three: a CQC 7, Commander and an M Wave. They all have the wave feature which is a must IMO. I'm currently looking at getting a CQC 8 and a Horseman. You really can't go wrong with any of them; it just comes down to personal preference on the blade type.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

If you want an emerson absolutely get the wave!

My primary motivation for buying an emerson is the wave feature. I think there are other competitive folders from other manufactures that offer better compromises in lock design, components, fit and finish etc...but from a deployment standpoint its hard to beat the wave unless you move to fixed blades.

I'm sure you know, but just to make sure...The emersons that you are looking at are chisel ground, thats not bad, but I'm much better at sharpening conventionally ground blades, YMMV.

Of all the emersons that I have owned: benchmade emerson / CQC 7B w/ wave / commander w/ ti frame lock and HD7 I find myself carrying the HD 7 the most. Mine has 2 dep's to afg under its "clip" lol Great blade but a bit expensive. I think the best "blade for the buck" is the spyderco endura or delica w/ emerson wave. Very utilitarian, holds an edge, easy to deploy, the grip is much more aggressive and its cheaper. Its not as "over built" as the CQC 7 but I use my knives as cutters more than pry bars. I tend to stray away from liner locks and prefer conventional back locks, frame locks and axis locks to the liner lock. Nothing wrong with a liner lock, I just like to avoid unnecessary risks when I can.

I stay away from serrations unless I am carrying a purpose built "rescue" type knife or if I can only have one blade in a military setting. For EDC I definitely prefer plain edge for utility and ease of sharpening. I don't find the tanto "too" difficult to sharpen, and it absolutely looks a lot cooler IMO, but I think the drop point model of the CQC 7 will be easier to sharpen if that matters.

Make sure you take a look at Benchmade AXIS knives, and spyderco's also, they have great offerings as well.

*BTW, the only time I've had problems with my emerson opening unexpectedly in my pocket was during a parachute landings while conducting airborne ops. Even then it didn't open enough to cut me, but it did give me a surprise =)

stay safe
    GU
    Last edited by ROCKET20_GINSU; 09-29-09 at 00:02.

Feedback Score
    I was given my Commander about a year ago. Great knife that I carry about every day. The wave works great for me & if need can really get someones attention if being pulled for defense. Pulled mine to show a guy at work & had half the office staring at me.
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12