Thread: 6.8 vs 5.56

Feedback Score

6.8 vs 5.56

how is the 6.8 recoil compare to 5.56?
    Last edited by lmt-cazy; 09-25-09 at 09:14.

Feedback Score
    my two ARs are setup almost identically
    the 6.8 has a tad more recoil, I wouldn't hesitate to let a kid shoot it
    less recoil than a 243 which is what my son hunts with

when I had a slightly heavier barrel on the 6.8 I couldn't tell any difference
    Last edited by ccoker; 09-25-09 at 09:33.

Feedback Score
    Negligable. When shooting identically equipped rifles it is tough to tell much of a difference. Also, the 6.8mm seems to me to be more of a push instead of a sharp recoil.

I will caveat by adding that I'm 6'4" and 230 pounds. The recoil impulse may be more relative in a smaller statured human...

Stephen

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Its not enough to notice it while shooting in my opinion,
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I don't notice a difference, it all feels the same when I shoot 85gr TSX out of my LWRC.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    I liken it to the difference between shooting a carbine length gas system and a mid length..you notice a small difference.

Anyone (Child or not) who can deal with 5.56 recoil can shoot a 6.8,no issues whatsoever.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Not an quantifiable/appreciable amount is what comes to my mind.

Approx. 44% more kinetic energy, more efficient burning of powder @ a perceived recoil comparable to a 5.56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmt-cazy View Post
    how is the 6.8 recoil compare to 5.56?
    I think we are pretty much all in accordance here...

The comparible recoil is negligent...

If you have body armor on its really hard to tell if there is any at all...
    I can shoot nose to charging handle and have no fear of getting whacked in the face from repeated recoil....

I am sure the sss spring, rifle buffer system, mid length gas system and muzzle device play a role here, as well as the heavier ss barrel and solid ff handguard. I am not sure if other factors in the bolt and upper receiver come into play.
    There is virtually no muzzle flip or muzzle climb so follow up shots often find themselves in the same hole.

Of course my set up is not the same as others and wont be the same as yours.
    Last edited by BLACK LION; 09-26-09 at 11:57.
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    Noveske N4 basic middy feels the same recoil as ar15performance Xtreme with YHM rail and FSC30. If I did it again, I'd just use the A2.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge