To my surprise I've had only a few suggestions to make the MOACKS carrier key staker lighter. So I went ahead and did it anyway. The Pocket MOACKS is for the guy who needs a carrier key staker that takes up less room in the toolbox or travel kit and weighs a lot less.... and costs less, too. The penalty of course is that it does not have some of the "bonus" features of the original MOACKS, and it is a little slower to do a carrier with, but the size and weight advantage will be worth it to some. Also, it does one thing the MOACKS does not-- it can be used to counter stake the screw heads, an important part of the process if you ask me.

The P-MOACKS stakes the screws one at a time. Like the MOACKS it comes with a 5/32 Allen wrench with which to turn the staker screw, a 9/64 wrench for tightening the carrier key screws, and a 1/8" wrench for those carriers that use a non-standard screw with a 1/8 socket instead of the standard 9/64. With the P-MOACKS, the 9/64 or 1/8 wrench is used to position the tool properly by putting the wrench stem though a hole and into a carrier screw socket. Then the staker screw is turned in to touch, then turned in another 1 & 1/4 turns. Repeat four times.

To counter stake the screws, move the staker screw to the tapped hole in the top of the tool. Again use the 1/8 or 9/64 hole to locate the tool to a carrier key screw socket. Once the tool is located, the staker screw is turned in to touch plus one turn. Now there is screw head metal displaced outwardly that will impinge on the inwardly-displaced metal from the staking of the carrier key over the screw heads. Repeat once per carrier key screw.

I have been thinking about this for a year and prototyping it for a couple weeks now. I have run a small batch and have the blocks squared up for another small batch. The design may change slightly as I go along but only in terms of cosmetics. The first ones will have screws slightly longer than pictured as I use up some extras from my last run of MOACKS. The new tool, like the MOACKS, is made from gen-u-ine gun steel, not reconstituted car bodies-- it's Crucible Steel prehardened 4140. These are $70 plus $10 S&H to anywhere in the US or to APO's.....

Staking carrier key material over screw heads. 9/64 Allen wrench through top is locating tool to one of the carrier key screws.

Counter-staking the carrier key screws themselves. Again the 9/64 wrench works as a tool locator.

The tool, with screw put in from inside for storage (so it doesn't protrude and takes up less room).