Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a replacement for my Benchmade

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Suggest a replacement for my Benchmade

Hey Guys!

Looking to replace my aging Benchmade AFCK as my daily carry in the next couple a months. I wanted to pick your brains for suggestions as to the best replacement.

I carry this knife daily. To work where it must ride INSIDE the pocket, church, home, in the yard, to the range, in the field hunting and fishing, etc. It is used for cutting tags, opening boxes and letters, as a small pry, stripping wire, as a screw driver and bottle/can opener opener, it cuts rope, and small branches, and may be used to eat with in the field.

It should be big enough to be useable, but small enough to be somewhat discrete when riding totally inside the pocket (seems to rule out offerings such as Striders).

It should hold a good edge, and not have to fine a point (no Tantos). My current has a combo edge, and I am considering just getting a straight edge, but am open to either.

No Auto opening.

Should have a pocket clip that is suitably strong, and does not bend or break easily (the SOG I had years ago was horrible in this respect).

I am looking for a GOOD VALUE, money is not endless for this tool. It need not be cheap, but I ain't spending half a weeks pay on it either!

I really like my Benchmade, and am strongly considering them for the replacement, but also want to see what else is out there.

Thanks for your suggestions! I am eager to hear them. I like knives, but am not collector, and certainly no expert!

-RD62

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Emerson
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Al Mar.
    "Buy once, cry once. Or not. Many of you will undoubtedly be zombies one day. I'd prefer if you were zombies with sub-par gear."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have been carrying a BM Mini-Griptillian for over five years and it has been very good to me.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like the looks of the Al Mar SERE 2000. I prefer the black blade, purely for aesthetics. I see them for sale on-line in the $160 range, which isn't too bad.

I hear a lot about Emerson, but not sure their blade profiles are what I'm looking for. The CQC-8 and CQC-10 seem the most promising to me. But they seem a little on the big side, which would make discrete in pocket carry on the job difficult, and are definitely on the high end of my price range.

Like I said before I like the Benchmade knives, and the Griptilian I think is definitely a good value. I like the 556 Mini-Griptilian. In particular the 556BKD2, but I'm not sure about the plastic handle scales. My AFCK has G10, which are really nice, and have held up well. How have yours held up MarshallDodge?

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Keep em coming

-RD62
    Last edited by RD62; 09-26-09 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    EASY!!!!! ANOTHER BENCHMADE...
    "God made Cops, so Firemen could have Heroes."
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Feedback Score
    Cold Steel, Al Mar, Benchmade
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Feedback Score
    Benchmade RTK or Mini Griptillian , Al Mare, Emerson Mini Commander.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Where can I find more info on the Benchmade RTK?

I couldn't find it on there website and a quick google search turned up a recommendation by the S.E.R.E. instructors and a reference to it being designed by Doug Ritter. I found his site and the RSK, which is a Griptilian designed to his specs, but didn't see a reference to the RTK there either.

Thanks!

-RD62

Feedback Score

Lightbulb Locating a Benchmade RTK

Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    Where can I find more info on the Benchmade RTK?

I couldn't find it on there website and a quick google search turned up a recommendation by the S.E.R.E. instructors and a reference to it being designed by Doug Ritter. I found his site and the RSK, which is a Griptilian designed to his specs, but didn't see a reference to the RTK there either.

Thanks!

-RD62
    You can contact Doug Ritter directly thru his web site. He was selling them on there just recently. Post a WTB ad on his forum's web site.

You can try posting a WTB ad on Bladeforums.

You can try contact Benchmade Directly and see if they can help you.

Maybe one of the knife guys on here could be of more help.

Let us know if you locate one. Guys are selling a lot of stuff right now. Bills to pay and all that.
    Cold Zero

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast