Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast

Thread: Preparation on a budget

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Dafuq!?
    Exactly.

WTF?
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Dafuq!?
    Lol yea my thoughts exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    simpleminded, aint ya. If you dont even recognize that the govt is by far the most likely threat to you, no amount of prepping will help you any

Feedback Score
    Promo for a month of patriot supply long term storage food. I ordered two, pretty good deal.

https://www.preparewithcr.com/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whilst View Post
    simpleminded, aint ya. If you dont even recognize that the govt is by far the most likely threat to you, no amount of prepping will help you any
    Do you have any suggestions related to the topic of this thread? If not, your presence here isn't needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 00leland00 View Post
    Something you can do that costs practically nothing is work on your skill sets. Fire building, snares/traps, morse code, etc. Taking all of your important documents and copying to a zip drive. Any good manuals or general shtf type information you find on the net can be printed off and hard copies saved for when the power goes out and might not be back on for a while.
    Really Such A Great Information.

---------------

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for reviving this thread. It seems like the prepping trend has faded or at least the sense of urgency to it has faded, which is probably a good thing. Urgency can make for bad buying decisions. Somehow "prepping" got focused on apocalyptic scenarios and practical scenarios suffered. I think prepping should be more associated with being a responsible adult and less to do with surviving zombies. So in keeping with this budget thread I'll add that just getting organized is a great way to get prepared.
    It may sound counter-intuitive, but throwing out all the junk you have is so helpful. Go through everything you own in your basement and garage. Get rid of clothes, worn out boots, dull saws from harbor freight, etc. Organize everything in Rubbermaid bins and label them. It's ok to have empty spots on shelves. It's good for your soul to stop hording junk you'll never use. After you go through everything you own and discard lots of it you will have a new perspective. After watching yourself throw money in the trash from discarding all the junk you've accumulated, you'll hate buying stuff because you will see it as a burden to carry. You'll only buy one really good pair of boots and resist buying 3 so-so pairs instead. You'll rather have a thicker wallet than a new phone you don't need. I know the "one is none and two is one" is a popular idea, but it comes with some caveats. 1 wool garment is better than 5 cotton garments...1 is 1, and 5 is none. Buy good quality, don't accumulate stuff, get organized.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Preparation on a budget

Excellent advice. My only change is buy quality, then when you can afford it buy redundancy to cover continual use/backup. Buy a quality firearm, optic, whatever. Use it frequently to get to know it well. Then buy at least one more quality item as backup ( doesn’t have to be the same, but helps if it uses same mount, battery, cartridge, mag, etc.).

For clothing get quality and use it so you know if you need more to get through a week or two of continual use in emergencies. For Instance, over the years I have settled on merino wool or Under Armour tech fabric for base layer for multi-season hard use (boxers, socks, Ts, hoodies) and I have given away sacks of cotton clothes. I still have several Riggs cotton Ts for light work/casual but most is merino wool or UA. I started with one item and when I found it superior I started buying another every couple of months. Or if I started a labor job needing more I would get 3 to start and add another every month.

I do need to go through the garage again as you suggest. I inherited a bunch of crap from my Dad who was a HF fanatic and it was hard to just toss it. But you are right, the space and organization is more valuable.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 01-18-19 at 19:22.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Even if you don't get rid of much, it is good to get the important things organized you might need in emergencies. Fleeing the house in a fire, hunkering down in a power outage, etc.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pete57 View Post
    I think prepping should be more associated with being a responsible adult and less to do with surviving zombies.
    You do realize that no one actually believes in zombies right?

Well except for that poor homeless dude in FL that got his face eaten off by one.

The term "zombie" in relation to the film/TV genre is a metaphor for average ordinary people. George A. Romero who invented the genre stated in multiple interviews before his death (may peace be upon him) that he grew up watching the old classic MGM monster movies (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, etc.) and always felt the neighbors were more scary than monsters. Robert A. Heinlein's novella All You Zombies also alluded to this a bit.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast