Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR15 Armorers Wrench....

Feedback Score

AR15 Armorers Wrench....

Guys,
    A while back, I spoke with someone, who told me that he owned the best armorers wrench for an AR15, that he's ever seen. It even had an NSN #, and was marked "USMC".
    He paid about $40-$50 for it, and said he purchased it at a show a while back, but it definitely wasn't one of the cheapo type wrenches you show at many shows today, of course.
    That is all that I know about it, and I would like to know if anyone here, can tell me where an armorers wrench such as the above mentioned NSN #'d model might possibly be found???
    I assume that all armorers wrenches are NOT created equal, but then I don't know this for sure. I'm just basing my assumption on what this guy said. To his credit, he is some type of LEO Armorer, and he knows his stuff. Can anyone help me find these wrenches???
    Thanks so much guys...

Feedback Score

USMC Wrench

Email sent! Check on Ebay. I saw one there earlier today.
    -Len

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    While not what you're asking about, I saw this thing at SHOT and it looked promissing. Kind of a Leatherman for the AR.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s
    While not what you're asking about, I saw this thing at SHOT and it looked promissing. Kind of a Leatherman for the AR.

I saw and handled that at SHOT, it's Chinese made and sucks. If it were of the quality of Gerber or Leatherman I'd already own one. IIRC it was $130 but it's probably worth about $30
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Smith Enterprises makes the USMC one I have sitting here. It's built like a tank. The DPMS one is decent also, but the stock wrench sucks and the little cast tit always breaks. FWIW, the SEI one doesn't have the stock wrench at all. It has 3 prongs on the opposite side of the barrel nut wrench that fits KAC, Daniel Defense, etc. FF tube barrel nuts.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products12.html

It's fairly cheap also.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I use a DPMS, USGI, PRI, YHM, DD-Lite barrel wrenches. I'm also going to get one of these from Bushmaster.

For M4 stocks I use my Tonys Custom Upper M4 castle nut wrench.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4
    I use a DPMS, G.I., PRI, YHM, DD-Lite barrel wrenches. I'm also going to get one of these from Bushmaster.

I imagine I'll wind up with one of these as well. I currently have the DPMS wrench after breaking the GI wrench I had trying to remove an LMT barrel that had apprently been installed with red Loctite.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s
    I imagine I'll wind up with one of these as well. I currently have the DPMS wrench after breaking the GI wrench I had trying to remove an LMT barrel that had apprently been installed with red Loctite.
    On a couple of LMT barrels I've had to cutoff the delta ring & weld spring with a mondo set of bolt cutters and use a large plumbers pipe wrench to loosen the barrel nut. It works everytime but ruins the barrel nut, but it's easy to replace as LMTs have very easy to remove pins in the FSB (non-tapered just like RRA).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wound up freezing my upper and got it off that way. Since the aluminum receiver contracts more than the steel barrel nut, it loosened it right up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    On a couple of LMT barrels I've had to cutoff the delta ring & weld spring with a mondo set of bolt cutters and use a large plumbers pipe wrench to loosen the barrel nut. It works everytime but ruins the barrel nut, but it's easy to replace as LMTs have very easy to remove pins in the FSB (non-tapered just like RRA).
    Replying in this old thread because I just wrecked a YHM wrench trying to get the barrel nut off an LMT upper. Going to try again with a Smith or DPMS wrench after a few days of soaking with Kroil.

I don't expect to find any red locktite, but you never know. Barrel nuts take anti-sieze, not threadlocker, and no doubt LMT knows it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast