Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR15 Armorers Wrench....

Feedback Score
    Glad to see the old thread resurrected for my education. Just got an M4 and am in the process of selecting a supply of tools, parts, etc. Will probably buy the tools suggested by the mfr. and try to get the best discount I can.

I really started to jump at that multi-tool but then saw the reviews on the Midway site. That won't be happening. I'd love to see a co. like Leatherman, with their quality, come out with some specialty tools related to guns or marine use - real selection of tools, not just one related to the specialty and the rest the generic multi-tool.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    Replying in this old thread because I just wrecked a YHM wrench trying to get the barrel nut off an LMT upper. Going to try again with a Smith or DPMS wrench after a few days of soaking with Kroil.

I don't expect to find any red locktite, but you never know. Barrel nuts take anti-sieze, not threadlocker, and no doubt LMT knows it.
    Did you try freezing it? Worked like a charm on the one I did way back when.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by captbarty View Post
    Glad to see the old thread resurrected for my education. Just got an M4 and am in the process of selecting a supply of tools, parts, etc. Will probably buy the tools suggested by the mfr. and try to get the best discount I can.

I really started to jump at that multi-tool but then saw the reviews on the Midway site. That won't be happening. I'd love to see a co. like Leatherman, with their quality, come out with some specialty tools related to guns or marine use - real selection of tools, not just one related to the specialty and the rest the generic multi-tool.
    You might look at Multitasker. More of a field tool than a bench tool though.

IMHO it's just like any other tool, you're better off with dedicated tools when at home or on the bench, and the folding/pocket/compact tools are best for expedients away from the bench. Just like I'm not going to use a Leatherman to work on my car at home, but will use it in a pinch on the side of the road to fix something that broke while driving.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Did you try freezing it? Worked like a charm on the one I did way back when.
    I'll try that and report how it works out! Thanks for the tip. Currently wrench-less until the Brown Truck o' Happiness brings a spare.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    When I was working with mine I had the upper clamped in a vice block, the GI barrel wrench held against the spring tension with a set of Quick Grips, a breaker bar on the wrench, and a pipe on the breaker bar, and climbed up on the bench to put my weight on the pipe with my feet. Wrench pins sheared off, nut teeth rounded off, and I wound up laying on the floor.

Given the choice of methods, I suggest the freezing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    You might look at Multitasker. More of a field tool than a bench tool though.

IMHO it's just like any other tool, you're better off with dedicated tools when at home or on the bench, and the folding/pocket/compact tools are best for expedients away from the bench. Just like I'm not going to use a Leatherman to work on my car at home, but will use it in a pinch on the side of the road to fix something that broke while driving.
    That looks interesting. Have you handled one in person - is it decent quality? I've located one but hope someone can tell me if it's better than that NcStar thing further up before I order it.

I agree with you re: tools for bench or field. But, I often find myself reaching for a Leatherman or Gerber equivalent even when the "real" tools are in the next room - not for gunsmithing but general..
    Last edited by REDinFL; 09-09-10 at 10:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The barrel nut soaked overnight in Kroil and broke loose without too much struggle. I used a Smith Enterprises "USMC" forged wrench with the encapsulated end. No wimpy pins.

To LMT's credit the barrel nut had been installed with some kind of dark gray grease or paste. No locktite Probably aluminum/moly anti-seize compound. I reinstalled with more of the same. Torqued to 50 ft-lbs and backed off 3 times, then one more final torque to 50 and all was well. Was reinstalling a DD Lite barrel nut so I probably didn't need to snug 3x, but it's good mojo and probably helps mate the threads more evenly.

Oh, and the Smith Enterprises armorer's wrench is truly the BFH (BFW?) of wrenches. I love it.

Feedback Score
    brownell's doesn't carry crap for armorer wrenches??

Does anyone have a best source for a wrench? Thanks
    Last edited by mike_556; 09-10-10 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got both the YHM (which broke) and the badass Smith Enterprise wrench through Brownell's. The only wrench that's listed as out of stock was the 5-pin PRI wrench.

Feedback Score
    I must be going blind---I can only find a Smith Ent .308 armorer's wrench, not 223/556 at Brownells

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast