Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10-8 M&P base pad installed w/ pics

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    After my first post on this topic, I called the Range Master at our Firearms Training Unit to see if there exists an issue with the magazine base plate that I was totally unaware of. I was told nope, other than what I have mentioned.

As I stated in earlier, I am not trying to be an ass, or argue for the sake of arguing. I also realize that 1,200 guns over a four year period is not the same track record as say the Glock 9mm system has developed. I do feel that my experience with the 9mm M&P's is enough that I feel comfortable stating that the factory baseplate, properly installed (make sure the pin goes into the hole), is dependable enough to carry into harms way.

If others feel uncomfortable with the factory baseplate, and feel the need to change it, so be it. I will not attempt to dissuade anyone. I merely post this information for the individual contemplating the purchase of an M&P to protect them-self, be they an LEO, or a private citizen. I don't what them to think they must spend the additional money for Hilton Yam's baseplate in order for their pistol to be serviceable enough to carry into harms way. It just isn't true.

I dont think anyone in this thread is saying that you HAVE to go buy these or your M&P will rip a gap in the time-space continuum. Its merely an option for people that are looking for something more than what the factory base-plate offers. Some are attracted to the scallops to aid in stuck mag removal. While stuck mags arent common in the M&P (I havent seen it with the 1500 + we field here) there is a chance that it could occur (as an example environmental conditions) and some people want to be prepared for it. The smaller profile limits the chance of the mag catching on something as it is being drawn. I've ran drills before where I would inadvertently pull two mags from my pouches because the toe of the 2nd mag was resting over the base of the first mag and was pulled out of the pouch when I conducted a reload. The smaller base plate grealty limits the chances of this occuring. The marking divets are simply there to aid in IDing mags.

All in all, the 10-8 baseplates offer a lot to the people that want to use them. No one is forcing anyone to go out and buy them nor is anyone MF'ing someone because they dont see the need in them. Its all about user preference.
    Last edited by NCPatrolAR; 10-01-09 at 14:11.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Spray and bake

I got my matte black Alumahyde 2 yesterday and got to spraying. On one of the pads (the installed one) I did a spray and bake which isn't advised on the can instructions. These are supposed to be pretty much air dried. I threw one in the oven for about 40 mins at 200 deg. It came out textured..

The textured one half ass done.

One of the three that I took time with. Nice and smooth finish. It's air curing right now until next week.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Magwell cutouts? I can buy a dremel and do both of my guns for the price of just one of these.

(which I did)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I suggest, anyone questioning the why of these pads, go to 10-8 forums, and read about them, or contact Hilton directly, I'm sure he would be glad to fill you in.

Hilton has reported seeing issues with the factory plastic pad breaking after extensive use. That's his experience, it would not be the first time two different people had two different experiences with the same product. Consider also, people having varying definitions of hard use, long term, etc etc.

The smaller footprint of the base plate serves 2 purposes..

As noted, often, depending on how you grip your spare mag, and the mag carrier, the toe of the rear mag, can interfere with the front mag. IIRC, Eagle delayed a M&P specific mag pouch for this very reason.

Second, again on how you grasp your spare mag, the toe of the standard base plate, tends to kick the mag away from your hand, giving you less control of the mag, or at least the feeling of less control. 1911 and Glocks mags, for instance, will lay flatter in your hand.

The side scallops were done to assist in both rip drills and tactical mag changes. The front scallop pretty much just for a rip drill.
    This is not for a mag that fails to fall free during a speed load, but rather, for certain malfunctions, that require removal of the magazine. The magazine can often become stuck in the magwell, due to the a round 1/2 fed into an already full chamber. You will need a good grip on the mag to rip it out, and continue to fix the problem.

This is all spelled out, with pictures on a thread over at 10-8forums, very informative.

I do think, its a bit unfair to insinuate that Hilton has developed these in some sort of shameful money making scheme. He does earn a profit, as does everyone, but if he were out solely to make money off the gun buying public, he could offer alot more, lower quality and less useful stuff.

BTW, I don't own any of these base plates.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    I got my matte black Alumahyde 2 yesterday and got to spraying. On one of the pads (the installed one) I did a spray and bake which isn't advised on the can instructions. These are supposed to be pretty much air dried. I threw one in the oven for about 40 mins at 200 deg. It came out textured..

The textured one half ass done.

One of the three that I took time with. Nice and smooth finish. It's air curing right now until next week.
    I agree that the 10-8 should be inverted for holstered presentation and/or advertisement. Not only does it say something about YOU at the time you're wearing it, but it endorses a product, designer/engineer, and mindset.

I do like the appearance of how the black matches the rest of the gun and can only assume the silver one shown is in the pre-black stage of completion during the air cure process????

I have some other manufactured aluminum base pads (for the 9/40 fs) which I have yet to use but they are intended for use with the M&P magwell of same manufacture. I will admit, in the 5+ thousand rds I've put through my 9mm M&P, I have yet to have a stuck mag or lose a factory, plastic base pad resulting from impact on a hard surface. Let's hope my carry M&P45 gun/mags combo are as durable.

Now let's discuss the need for that lanyard loop and the probability of losing that expensive base plate when doing mag changes on your horse. (sorry, couldn't resist)

-B

Feedback Score
    It seems, to me, that the smaller footprint would be a negative when it comes to addressing one hand FTE/Double Feed clearances.
    "He who does not bellow the truth when he knows the truth makes himself the accomplice of liars and forgers." -- Charles Peguy

I currently teach for Tactical Response.

I have taught for Options for Personal Security, Tac Pro Shooting Center, and Shivworks, as well as teaching under my own banner.

I have given presentations at Tom Given's Polite Society Conferences, the National Tactical Invitational and Gabe Suarez's WarriorTalk Symposia.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Lol about the lanyard loop. I added it to my order from Brownells to justify the shipping costs. It was cheap. I also heard S&W was giving them out free here and there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123