Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thinking on the 6.8?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

thinking on the 6.8?

So, I'm on the edge on the 6.8 and thinking on a couple different things.

I think I've narrowed it down to either a standard 16" middy with fsb, TA11, Troy rear. Or a 16" middy, Troy Extreme(only want to mount a sling attachment point(end of left side and the Troy front at some point, maybe a light at 1100 or 6) with either the TA11 or a 1-4/5/6.

If the TA11 or if a go with a variable, are you guys using a .223 or .308 reticle for drop?

It's main use will be for hunting, mainly deer. I'm looking at the SSA Barnes loads, 110 or the 85 TSX?

I like the AR15 performance line and should be going with them.

Thanks for the input!

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    So, I'm on the edge on the 6.8 and thinking on a couple different things.

I think I've narrowed it down to either a standard 16" middy with fsb, TA11, Troy rear. Or a 16" middy, Troy Extreme(only want to mount a sling attachment point(end of left side and the Troy front at some point, maybe a light at 1100 or 6) with either the TA11 or a 1-4/5/6.

If the TA11 or if a go with a variable, are you guys using a .223 or .308 reticle for drop?

It's main use will be for hunting, mainly deer. I'm looking at the SSA Barnes loads, 110 or the 85 TSX?

I like the AR15 performance line and should be going with them.

Thanks for the input!

Mark
    Mark,

I think a 16" middy with Troy Extreme rail is a great choice. I run on in competition and love it, its narrow, has the "add a rail" feature and is SIMPLE to take on and off if your gas block is smaller than the dia of the tube. I saw Jeff Cramblit do it this weekend at the AA Ozark 3 Gun.

My Troy 11"

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/828/o3g17.jpg

Do some reading on 68forums.com the 90 grain TNTs are not recomended by SSA for the XT barrels by ARP. Everything else like the 85 grains are good to go.

Personally, I suggest you check out Noveske's 16" 6.8s
    Last edited by SHIVAN; 09-29-09 at 19:42. Reason: Changed pic from IMG to URL...I can't even see it on a 28" HD monitor.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Feedback Score
    aw heck...why not 90 TNTs with the XT barrel?
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    I think you pretty much have this one bagged although IMHO, I would lean more towards the variable 1-4/5/6x as far as optics are concerned. I run an elite 4200 1.25-4x24 and its pretty quick up close but also lets me stretch it out long distances... I am actually now considering the elite 6500 1.25-8x32 since its pretty much the same but affords 8x magnification which would be great for 500+ yds(DocGKR has informed us of 600+yd shots with the 6.8)... I also like the detail you can capture for the closer shots...

Good choices though...
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    aw heck...why not 90 TNTs with the XT barrel?
    I am also curious as to why they are not recommended???
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would more than likely only do the ACOG with the Fixed fsb because for me the fsb is in the way otherwise with a 1x

I'm spoiled right now with a NF 1-4 on an AR I have. The only change I'm going to do there is a 1.93 Larue vs. the 1.5 After shooting it one day, I realized that having tad higher would make it quicker for me.

At first, it'll sport an M3 in a Larue until I get the funds for the optic.

Cold, The Noveski SS? I was thinking MRP also, then don't see the point.

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Cold, awesome hat!

(but you gotta resize that pic dude!)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Cold, I don't see the pic. Is Troy coming out with a sling point to where you don't need the rail? I thought I heard that somewhere here before, not sure.

With BDC's which one is the closest match for the 6.8, .223 or .308?

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I have seen that people use both .223 and .308 bdcs' but I see more referencing the .308...The .308 is more on par with the 6.8 ballistics within a certain range so if I am not mistaken the .308 bdc would be the choice for the acog...

Also, there is a 6.8bdc acog = TA31H-68: 4x32 Trijicon ACOG — Dual Illuminated Red Horseshoe(The ranging reticle is calibrated for 6.8 SPC flattop rifles out to 800 meters)
    Last edited by BLACK LION; 09-29-09 at 14:01.

Feedback Score
    There is a thread running at 68forums about buyers up in arms with Troy for not including a sling hole, and some recommendations on how to WECSOG.

I tracked down the TNT issue, and there have been a few problems, so for those who encountered them, that lot is not recommended for further use. I could not find disclosure as to which lots this effects. I'm sticking with the ProHunters until this is resolved.

BL, once you get up into the Bushnell 6500, isn't that crowding Leupold/Docter price range? 1.5-8x sounds pretty versatile, tho...
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast