Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight VS. maximum efficiency 11.5 build.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)

Lightweight VS. maximum efficiency 11.5 build.

Would you go with a UBR or CTR?

If you already had both on hand, which would you use for a quality 11.5 upper build?

Also would you go with a MOE fore end, or a FF (and which one)?

Thanks
    Last edited by SW-Shooter; 12-05-10 at 15:05. Reason: clarification

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I commend you for having the UBR as a choice on a SBR and that would be easily my choice.

I am gonna run a UBR here pretty soon on my first sbr which is a 10.5". I have never felt a rifle to date be it long railed/long barreled or short railed/short barreled that I found the UBR did not improve the balance, cheekweld, and overall quality of the build. It brings too many unmatched advantages imo to let a small bit of weight in the very best place to have a small bit of extra weight(rear) to deny me from running it.

If I personally was going to use a individual rail or hand guard on a 11.5" AR, my choice would be a KAC midlength URX II which should give you as much real estate with your lead hand grip as possible. I really like the integrated front sight and overall design but its cost and needing of a proper tool to install might make this not the best choice for everyone.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Wow, you are good! The URX wowed me as soon as I saw it for the first time. I thought about the price, but that is eventually going to become less of an issue as the build progresses.

I want this to be the be all AR for my sons inheritance. I think that might just be the ticket.
    Last edited by SW-Shooter; 12-04-10 at 00:39.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I have 4 CTRs but my next stock will be a MOE I never use the QD mount. It is cheaper and lighter.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I have 4 CTRs but my next stock will be a MOE I never use the QD mount. It is cheaper and lighter.
    Having had both, I agree. MOE is cheaper and just as good. To me, an SBR needs to be light and quick, otherwise I might as well be shooting one of my 16" carbines. I built up an 11.5 with a ACE stock, heavy barrel, etc. and hated it. Had to rip it all apart and start over. Based on the specs, your UBR w/included extension tube will be about 9 oz heavier than a CTR with extension tube. That's over half a pound. Might be a great stock, but if your stated goal is a lightweight gun, you might reconsider.

I'm rebuilding at the moment and a forend is TBD. I would look hard at the MOE for a KISS carbine, but if you're looking for something to put a light and grip on, you might consider a rail. DD light rails are an obvious choice. I'll probably end up going budget and go with a MI T-series rail. I have an SS-series from them on another build and they're a lot of rail for the money. Very light as well.
    Last edited by Polymerhead; 12-04-10 at 15:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    Would you go with a UBR or CTR?

If you already had both on hand, which would you use for a quality 11.5 upper build?

Also would you go with a MOE fore end, or a FF (and which one)?

Thanks
    If I'm going "lt.wt." I'd go with the VLTOR Imod first and the CTR 2nd
    SOPMOD 3rd

For rails I'd go Omega X first, Omega 2nd, MOE 3rd...if you had a lot of stuff to hang off your rail...if not go for the MOE

imo
    It is legal to hunt, kill, and eat porcupines, armadillos and badgers in Texas.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If the intent is keeping the weight down (as suggested by the title of the thread), then the UBR should be the last choice, along with the VLTOR EMOD.

The IMOD and CTR stock bodies are both much lighter options.

As far as the handguard, if I was building a 11.5 I'd be hard pressed not to choose the KAC URX. I've been resisting buying a BCM 11.5 Lightweight upper to mate with a KAC URX for some time now...
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 12-04-10 at 16:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    As far as the handguard, if I was building a 11.5 I'd be hard pressed not to choose the KAC URX. I've been resisting buying a BCM 11.5 Lightweight upper to mate with a KAC URX for some time now...
    Jeebus, are they really $500? That does not compute for me, at least for a sub-critical part like a handguard.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
    Jeebus, are they really $500? That does not compute for me, at least for a sub-critical part like a handguard.
    If you believe handguards are sub-critical than you obviously are not that concerned with accuracy or modularity. Not to mention overall ergo's of a rifle. Not much special about an AR 15 once you abandon the option of running things like flip up buis's, weaponlights, vfg's, secondary optics, NVG, IR units, Bipod, and the list goes on. I personally will not own an AR that does not have a FF rail outside of a cpl. sentimental 6520's.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
    They are pricey, but you can find them for a bit less if you hunt around. Don't forget that the price includes the front BUIS and several rail panels. Considering the Troy front sight is a $100 part, that makes the URX price in line with other top quality choices.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast