Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ballistics on a 10.5" barrel???

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's my opinion that the 14.5" government profile mid-length gas system would be the best of all compromises for a standard patrol carbine. The middy 16" being more practical for most. However, are you an Officer in a rural area or urban? 11.5", again in my opinion, is great for urban areas provided you are issued/allowed to use proper ammo. There are just too many variables/unknowns to say this or that is best for YOU though. Keep in mind that a man with above standard training and sub-optimal weapon will generally prevail over sub-standard training and an optimal weapon... both being mechanically sound of course.
    Last edited by Zeus; 11-22-10 at 12:24.
    Remember, the Founding Fathers reason for the 2nd Amendment... to combat tyranny. Sadly, when people discuss the 2nd Amendment, the opponents erroneously think it was meant to stand alone... it HAS a preamble:

"...But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

— John Hancock

Feedback Score
    My patrol area is mostly suburban, but we are adjacent to a large zoo. While the likelyhood of large animal escape is low, it's still possible.

I would consider myself an advanced with a pistol, moderate with my rifle.

Hopefully that helps.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    10.5 is fine for an "all around carbine" if your all-around-carbine needs are within the effective range of your loads from that barrel. seriously.

my "go-to" or "SHTF" or "social" or "all-around" whatever cheesy term you want to use, is a 10.5. it's a compromise, for sure- everything is. EVERYTHING is. my needs are for a fast, light, easily maneuverable carbine for an extremely low chance of needing it, and a further lower chance of needing it to reach past 25m. however- i don't carry fragmenting loads, therefor the 2700fps fence doesn't exist for me. with a good SP load, i can engage out to probably 75m and still have the bullet do it's gimmick.

even with a 10.5, a hit at 400m is still going to "hurt." let us not forget that these bullets dont stop mid-air and fall to the ground at 50m.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 11-22-10 at 13:13.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your input guys, very much appreciated..

Bkb, mind pointing me to some pics of your rilfe?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike169 View Post
    Thanks for your input guys, very much appreciated..

Bkb, mind pointing me to some pics of your rilfe?

first pic i came across.. one i took for one of the EDC threads

Feedback Score
    Quite the EDC you have there.. I guess I'm a bit of a minimalist with just my G19 lol

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a 10.5" for my "go to" defensive carbine, and like the posters here said, I'm not limited to FMJ ammo like the mil types.

Also consider that fragmentation is not an all or nothing effect, lower velocity rounds will still fragment just the amount of fragmentation reduces. Also the heavier loads like the 77gr SMK and 75gr TAP will fragment at lower velocities than the 55gr loads.

DocGKR mentions good loads for the SBRs right here on M4C 5.56 mm Duty Loads, I use the 62 gr Federal bonded JSP Tactical load, and the 77 gr Federal OTM he mentions from a 1 in 7" twist LMT 10.5".

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 11-22-10 at 18:24.

Feedback Score
    I'm running with 60gr TAP rounds, currently out of a 1/9 twist. That round should do well out of a shorty barrel if I'm reading correctly?

Feedback Score
    My 11.5'' is loaded with 62 gr. Federal JSP.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    If you could enlighten me it would be much appreciated.
    He's just pointing out that it's actually the Hague Convention of 1899 that prevents the military from using anything other than FMJ (Declaration III, specifically). The Geneva Convention merely deals with treatment of the wounded, civilians, POWs, etc. Almost any time somebody mentions the Geneva Convention they really should be talking about the Hague Convention of 1899. Nobody really cares, though

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast