Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .380 ammo...Magtech 77 grain copper SCHP

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    DocGKR,

I have read from a few difference sources that one can substitute water over ballistic Gel for penetration tests and that 2"inch's of travel in water would equal 1"inch of penetration Thur Ballistic Gel. True, False and if so what is the flaw in this method?
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 10-13-09 at 07:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    DocGKR,

I have read from a few difference sources that one can substitute water over ballistic Gel for penetration tests and that 2"inch's of travel in water would equal 1"inch of penetration Thur Ballistic Gel. True, False and if so what is the flaw in this method?
    Not to answwer for DocGKR, but I believe I can help you.

DocGKR once told me that water could indeed be used as a cheap substitute for ballistic gelatin at a 1.8 to 1 ratio. I rounded it off to 2 to 1 for the tests that I did. Therefore, 12 inches of penetration into water is approximately 6 inches of penetration into BG.

However, the effects on the projectiles is not exactly the same, as almost any JHP will open up in water.

Water can be used as a "fun test", but it is not as accurate as properly calibrated and refrigerated BG.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply, do you make any allowance for the resistance that the plastic material which the gallon milk jugs are made of may place on the bullets?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Thanks for the reply, do you make any allowance for the resistance that the plastic material which the gallon milk jugs are made of may place on the bullets?
    That's a good question, and one that I get asked a lot.

The answer is "No", I do not think it makes enough difference to matter.

And, as I compare my penetration results to those done by the true experts like DocGKR, I find that I get about the same results as he does, confirming that it doesn't make much difference.

If I ever get different results than he does, I will re-check my test, as I will suspect that there is something wrong.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123