Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me build a 6.8

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Help me build a 6.8

Okay, I have a LaRue OSR on order, but now after spending (too much) time on this board, I am starting to second guess the direction I wanted to go in. I have become enthralled by the 6.8spc, and leaning heavily towards building one, so this whole premise is somewhat hypothetical. What I have come up with so far, and it's not much yet, is an AR Performance upper (MK68 SAM-R 18") with their new, soon-to-be-released long-stroke piston system, and a lower from either LaRue or LMT. The basic purpose of this rifle will be to punch paper, feral pigs, and the occasional zombie out to a couple hundred yards.

Based on your opinions, am I headed in a good direction so far?
    Last edited by 40Arpent; 09-01-09 at 13:29.

Feedback Score
    If you are thinking about piston, why not go with an Robinson arms XCR? Nice 3 lug bolt that is tough and easy to clean. Their 1/11 twist barrel is due anytime now, though with 4 groves and specII chamber I don't get any pressure signs from SSA's "tactical" loads in my 1/10 twist barrel. You will get a 5 position gas adjust, full rails, as well as a rifle that can be used to bludgeon the zombies to death when you run out of ammo (and run again when you find some)...

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Crenca, I guess I really don't have a good answer for you. I am hooked on the AR format, and other than basic specs, I don't know a whole lot about the XCR, or Robinson Armament in general.

Feedback Score
    You probably wont be sorry with AR Performance, very good customer service. I have a MK68, but its been here for about a week. No range report yet. But she looks sweet...

Feedback Score
    AHHHHHHH... there it is again...

Nice rig Dave...

To the OP
    You cannot go wrong with Harrison... Your rig will be treated like a virgin princess and you can count it being a life long shooter for the purposes you stated.
    He builds worhorses that will outshoot thier owners and he is very meticulous about the assembly of each one... if something is off, you wont get the rig till its squared away...

You also have the superbolt option , Carbo nitrided option as well....

Once he machines the piston I hope to be one of the first 6.8 rigs running one...
    "Everyone has been given a gift in life. Some people have a gift for science and some have a flair for art. And warriors have been given the gift of aggression. They would no more misuse this gift than a doctor would misuse his healing arts, but they yearn for the opportunity to use their gift to help others. These people, the ones who have been blessed with the gift of aggression and a love for others, are our sheepdogs. These are our warrior"

Feedback Score
    Hahaha, blacklion you and I seem to be running in the same cirlcles brother!

Feedback Score
    one of my buddies has a Bushy 6.8 and he installed a different muzzle brake and it was very pleasant to shoot.Nice caliber and very interesting .

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Why Piston?

Gas piston guns are all well and good ( well, not all.....) but if you're thinking about running a mid length gas system I don't think you need it unless you're running suppressed alot. I've got a LWRC and while I like it, compared to my DI guns, it's heavier, recoils more and just gives me extra parts to clean. It does keep things a cleaner though.

My 6.8 middy is DI and I couldn't be happier with it in that setup. You can buy or build a super DI upper with cash left over for ammo, a coke and a smile for what you give for a piston 6.8.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks guys, appreciate all the info and opinions!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    TXSUT

My thoughts on pistons are as follows, they are fine but not necessary unless your into supressed shooting etc.

Now, that said, I think the LMT 6.8 piston is good, and if thats the one your set on, I THINK you might want to wait until sometime after Janurary. I have a feeling they might update their specs to 1:11 with the SPC II chamber.

I am looking forward to seeing the ARPERF long stroke piston.

I have shot the ADDAX PISTON 6.8, the Barret REC 7 piston and the POF USA 68 piston, all shot well. I think any piston will work for your needs really.

Now, if your aok with a DI my suggestion for barrles for the build would be as follows in no real order.

Noveske
    AR performance
    Bison Armory
    SOAD (Lothar Walthar's storefront coming soon)
    WOA 6.8 barrels (again getting great reviews)

As far as the rest of the build, hogs and paper punching, you can go a variety of ways, I can give you my thoughts as of now on the topic:

I like the TROY EXTREME RAILS a lot right now, as well as the PRI tubes.

VTAC is also great for the money.

As for a muzzle device, the PWS FSC30 is a fantastic choice.

Stocks, thats personal preference really.

Trigger, I like the Gisselle Arms or AR GOLD. (you said paper punching, how accurate do you want to be?)
    Last edited by Cold; 09-03-09 at 13:54.
    John Noveske Changed My Life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast