Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancer L5s and 5.45

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Lancer L5s and 5.45

Does anyone know if this combo will function reliably? Im thinking that since the L5s have the old green followers which dont have anti-tilt capability they might work with 5.45.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I haven't tried it myself but have heard of some people who claim it will work. Give it a shot and let us know how it does.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Works fine downloaded.

Feedback Score

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Works fine downloaded.
    Mine wont take over 10 rounds.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crasher View Post
    Mine wont take over 10 rounds.
    Mine takes over 20 using el cheapo mil surplus. Green followers. I'll post a pic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Mine takes over 20 using el cheapo mil surplus. Green followers. I'll post a pic.
    Spamcan combloc ammo, and green follower Lancers, check. That's what I've got.

I tried loading to 8. Even that was problematic half the time.

Anything over 8 or 10, (average), and they spread the mag body, it bulges. At that point it'll rarely take 1 or 2 more, but the mag already won't feed smoothly. They jam up and when one shell is stripped the next 1 or 2 pop/fall out. Then the jam clears, and the rest pop out or flip around as they spring upwards because there's no constant pressure against the feed lips.

Never had problems loading/shooting 5.56 with the first 4 Lancers I bought, just 5.45. So I made sure they were clean inside. I wiped the mags out and reassembled - same jam. Then I bought 4 new ones, same green follower, and tried using the new ones with 5.45 from the start. Still a no-go. It happens with all 8 of my Lancers.

While doing a mag function check: It happens when I remove the upper, insert the mag in the magwell and strip the first round.

The only thing I haven't tried is getting aerosol Teflon spray and douching the inside of the mags. I've just taken to buying a handful of C-Products stainless steel 5.45 mags when I go to gunshows and I kept 4 out of the 8 lancers to 'experiment with' when I buy a new lower/AR. I gave the other 4 loaded with a couple of different brands of .223/5.56 to my BIL to check out.

I'm happy with my Lancers, really, But I'd have been even happier if they'd have bonused 5.45 use for free.
    Mag refers to Lancer magazine in the above.
    Last edited by crasher; 10-18-09 at 10:16. Reason: speeling era's.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I can post two facts on this matter:

1- Littlelebowski's Lancers will absolutely hold and feed 20 rounds of 5.45, and I observed 0 stoppages over several magazines.

2- Mine don't, with the same observed issues noted by crasher.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 10-18-09 at 10:00.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I can post two facts on this matter:

1- Littlelebowski's Lancers will absolutely hold and feed 20 rounds of 5.45, and I observed 0 stoppages over several magazines.

2- Mine don't, with the same observed issues noted by crasher.
    You distract him, I'll swap my mags for his, and I'll split them with you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crasher View Post
    Anything over 8 or 10, (average), and they spread the mag body, it bulges. At that point it'll rarely take 1 or 2 more, but the mag already won't feed smoothly. They jam up and when one shell is stripped the next 1 or 2 pop/fall out. Then the jam clears, and the rest pop out or flip around as they spring upwards because there's no constant pressure against the feed lips.

Never had problems loading/shooting 5.56 with the first 4 Lancers I bought, just 5.45.
    I have 3 green follower Lancers. I got them after reading Littlelebowski's posts about his Lancers and 5.45. 2 do what you describe, one will load and feed 20 or so rounds of 5.45. I recently purchased 6 Lancers with a black follower. I don't have a lot of rounds through them yet, but in testing them out at home they all hold 24 or so rounds, and feed them all without getting hung up. Some do exhibit some significant swelling, but not so much that they can't be inserted into a magwell.

To echo crasher, they all work great with 5.56.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero View Post
    I have 3 green follower Lancers. I got them after reading Littlelebowski's posts about his Lancers and 5.45. 2 do what you describe, one will load and feed 20 or so rounds of 5.45. I recently purchased 6 Lancers with a black follower. I don't have a lot of rounds through them yet, but in testing them out at home they all hold 24 or so rounds, and feed them all without getting hung up. Some do exhibit some significant swelling, but not so much that they can't be inserted into a magwell.

To echo crasher, they all work great with 5.56.
    The York, PA gun show is the end of Oct, and another Chantilly, VA gun show Nov 20-21-22. I'll look for the black follower Lancers. My C-Products mags work fine, (I like them fine, so far), but it's important to have a fall-back plan and I'm hoping this is it. Having a mag that 'can/may' shoot both cals would be sweet.
    Last edited by crasher; 10-18-09 at 11:03.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast