Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Socom 16 info please

Feedback Score

Socom 16 info please

Can someone please school me on the Springfield Socom 16 please? I got offered a trade here locally and I'm meeting him at the range tomorrow at 4:00, only I don't know jack about the Socom. Below is the description he has posted on the gun. Gun has less than 1000 rounds through it and I may be able to get him to include a new 3x - 9x scope. Thanks!

This is a USED Springfield Armory Socom 16 chambered in 7.62 NATO/.308 16 inch Barrel Black Matte Finish Black Composite Stock. High efficiency muzzlebreak. Garand style safety. XS-Tritium post front sight. Ghost Ring rear sight. Retuned gas system. Forward scope mount. Steel butt plate. It will come with 3x 20 rnd Mags and 1X 10 rnd Mag. I has all the manuals, shipping box and SA Cable lock. Also included is a harris bipod that is mounted on the rifle.
    "Killing people is easy. Being politically correct is a pain in the ass" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the SOCOM M1A series.

I don't like the 16" barrels on these things, and they take too many proprietary parts.

What are you trading for it?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the SOCOM M1A series.

I don't like the 16" barrels on these things, and they take too many proprietary parts.

What are you trading for it?
    I would be trading the HK I have listed in my sig line. At least being a local trade I get to check/shoot it before I make my decision.
    "Killing people is easy. Being politically correct is a pain in the ass" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Socom 16 was a disappointment out of the box. I had constant extraction problems out of the box. I had to change out the crappy cast extractor to a G.I. unit. The accuracy also sucked 6" at 100 yards with Portugese 147 gr FMJ.

I had to recrown the muzzle and mounted the Socom 16 in a Troy MCS stock and I got 1" groups with the same ammo.

I really like it now, but bone stock, I would of spent my money on something else.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I had a SOCOM II for 40 rounds, then traded it. Not that I didn't like it, but I thought it was too heavy to be a practical battle rifle. It shot great though, for those 40 rounds; 1 MOA easy. I would have liked the SOCOM 16 better for weight sake. It'd be a fun piece to have if I owned a lot of land. I have heard a lot regarding FTEs as Ray mentioned. You'll probably have a great time shooting it - really a fun rifle.

Feedback Score
    Stick with the proven USGI spun kits...

Feedback Score
    So when we're talking about, say, bolt action .308s we're looking at an effective range of 800 meters. How does that change with the 16" barrel?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You'd need a scout scope, which are usually between 1X and 3X, or a variable power pistol scope; something with long eye relief. Either way, you're going to limit how far you can see something effectively compared to a regular optic. You could always get an extended top rail or an over-receiver scope mount to throw an ACOG or anything on. But your ballistics are going to vary with the 16" barrel. You'd probably still be effective enough to do what you wanted to do. 800 yards is not going to happen though without a little luck and perfect conditions on your side. 4-500 is definitely doable. Maybe you'd need to tweak your parts to get it to do that, though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake0331 View Post
    You'd need a scout scope, which are usually between 1X and 3X, or a variable power pistol scope; something with long eye relief. Either way, you're going to limit how far you can see something effectively compared to a regular optic. You could always get an extended top rail or an over-receiver scope mount to throw an ACOG or anything on. But your ballistics are going to vary with the 16" barrel. You'd probably still be effective enough to do what you wanted to do. 800 yards is not going to happen though without a little luck and perfect conditions on your side. 4-500 is definitely doable. Maybe you'd need to tweak your parts to get it to do that, though.
    See what's buggin' me is I have my 6920 that can reach out that far so what would I use this for? I've been wanting a .308 but I want to be able to hit further than my AR already can.

Feedback Score
    85 (99%)
    Wear very good ear protection. The socom rifles are ear killers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast