Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plate carrier

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Plate carrier

I know there has been a lot of plate carrier questions, so I’m hoping that this is not a repeat of a previous post. My scenario is this. I am a police officer who works the road. I am looking for the most comfortable plate carrier out there to go over the top of my uniform. At a bare minimum I want shooters cut, but I am leaning towards swimmer cut plates for more range of motion, especially because I have one bad shoulder that already has lower range of motion. The two carriers I have been leaning toward are the Air light SPC Swimmer and Agilite Gear K19 Plate Carrier 3.0. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msp21 View Post
    I know there has been a lot of plate carrier questions, so I’m hoping that this is not a repeat of a previous post. My scenario is this. I am a police officer who works the road. I am looking for the most comfortable plate carrier out there to go over the top of my uniform. At a bare minimum I want shooters cut, but I am leaning towards swimmer cut plates for more range of motion, especially because I have one bad shoulder that already has lower range of motion. The two carriers I have been leaning toward are the Air light SPC Swimmer and Agilite Gear K19 Plate Carrier 3.0. What are your thoughts?

Are you required to have hard plates?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’m not required but wouldn’t I want them in a plate carrier?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I’m not required but wouldn’t I want them in a plate carrier?

Are you a cop in Iraq? I would not want to be rocking a plate carrier for 12 hours at a time if it wasnt required.

Is this going over soft armor?
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This is a highly nuanced question. (And for the record, I’m LE too, former SWAT and K9).

1. What is the intended purpose for the PC? Temporary active shooter rig? Worn full time in place of external armor? What is your regular duty uniform?

2. What plates do you have or are planning to get? What size are they? Will they need to be worn in conjunction with IIIA soft armor?

3. What loadout do you intend to wear on the PC?

Answering these will help determine a solution. Remember, mission drives the gear train.

Feedback Score
    The K19 and the SPC aren't really comparable, IMO, given that the K19 lacks a structural cummerbund. The two will wear totally differently.

Comfort is entirely dependent on what you put on the PC, and without that, we can't make a judgement. If you're running some lightweight special threat plates and maybe a triple shingle and nothing else, a minimalist PC would be way more comfortable than a big padded one, but if you're carrying a bunch of mags, radio, water, grenades, etc. on it, you'd want the big, bulky padded one over the minimalist PC.

Boy Scout's questions are also a highly relevant.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Plate carrier

The intent would be to go over soft armor, and for it to be more of an active shooter or active threat set-up to be worn on occasion not full-time.

Loadout would probably be additional rifle mags, pistol mags, first aid kit, and tourniquet.

Last edited by msp21; 05-01-23 at 17:09.

Feedback Score
    The intent would be to go over soft armor, and for it to be more of an active shooter or active threat set-up to be worn on occasion not full-time.

Loadout would probably be additional rifle mags, pistol mags, first aid kit, and tourniquet.

I would look at slick style carriers like the airlite and add all that to the front.
    I dont know how much difference a carrier will make for comfort if its sitting on top of soft armor. But I would get the lightest multi curve plates you can afford at the rating you want.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It seems to me like having a carrier with plates over soft armor along with your uniform seems really bulky and uncomfortable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    It seems to me like having a carrier with plates over soft armor along with your uniform seems really bulky and uncomfortable.
    Less uncomfortable than taking a rifle round in the torso.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast